Dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos results achieved, now what?

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos. My tank is a 90G mixed reef, SPS heavy. Prior to starting dosing I tested both Phosphates and Nitrates at 0 for months.

Sat 15 Jul 0900 Phos 0 Nitrate .1 Started Dosing 7ml NeoNitro and 7ml NeoPhos daily during evening feeding
Sun 16 Jul 1000 Phos 0 Nitrate .6
Mon 17 Jul 1800 Phos 0 Nitrate .5
Wed 19 Jul 0900 Phos .03 Nitrate 1.0

I think I'll continue dosing the NeoNitro at 7ml daily. I think a target of 5 is what I'm looking to attain. With the Phosphates at an acceptable level I'm not sure if I should cut todays dosage in half or skip it entirely? I'll test again tomorrow either way and adjust from there. Thanks for the advise

Last edited:

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those values are still pretty low. I would keep going as well. After experiencing the hell that dinos can bring my target is more like .15 and 10 for phos and nitrates.

Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^
Yup what Randy said.

Skip a day or half a dose and like me you'll bottom out. Its speculation on my part as that's what I've seen in my tank.

Just like what TM says, once you hit the desired N & P then dose Balance NP.. nope that don't work as well.. for me it don't work. Maybe down the road it will but imho it going to take a long long time before it MIGHT maintain.. that's my 2 cents of info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the most recent values are 0.03 ppm phosphate and 1 ppm nitrate, i'd up the nitrate dosing and possibly the phosphate as well.
Wow, ok. I'm paranoid of going too fast. I'll up my dose to 10ml daily on both and continue to monitor results. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those values are still pretty low. I would keep going as well. After experiencing the hell that dinos can bring my target is more like .15 and 10 for phos and nitrates.
Thanks. I rebooted my tank 6 months ago and the last time I paid this much attention to phosphates and nitrates the common opinion was Zero's across the board.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^
Yup what Randy said.

Skip a day or half a dose and like me you'll bottom out. Its speculation on my part as that's what I've seen in my tank.

Just like what TM says, once you hit the desired N & P then dose Balance NP.. nope that don't work as well.. for me it don't work. Maybe down the road it will but imho it going to take a long long time before it MIGHT maintain.. that's my 2 cents of info.
Thanks. Everything works in theory lol

Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I rebooted my tank 6 months ago and the last time I paid this much attention to phosphates and nitrates the common opinion was Zero's across the board.
Yeah I've seen BRS talk about this.. especially p04 is better at range at the lower end of .08-.15 for coral nutrition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've seen BRS talk about this.. especially p04 is better at range at the lower end of .08-.15 for coral nutrition.
.15 sounds like 100 mph in a school zone. lol. Think I'll aim for .15 phos and 10 nitrates. I think its laughable that I just replaced my skimmer (broken impeller) and have a thriving cheato ball. But I suppose the skimmer supports my CO2 scrubber to maintain PH and the cheato is home to a thriving Pod population and provides balance. My tank is just one big puzzle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm readjusting my goals to .15 and 10. Hopefully I can approach it slowly without jumping it

Upvote 1

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.15 sounds like 100 mph in a school zone. lol. Think I'll aim for .15 phos and 10 nitrates. I think its laughable that I just replaced my skimmer (broken impeller) and have a thriving cheato ball. But I suppose the skimmer supports my CO2 scrubber to maintain PH and the cheato is home to a thriving Pod population and provides balance. My tank is just one big puzzle
Yup I hear ya, yeah I'm happy to have .04 tbh but it's a struggle keeping N and P anything above ZERO! But I'll myself keep poking away and focus on the 2 and nothing else.

And you say it's a puzzle lol, yeah mine is a mystery puzzle but different circumstances were involved but I did learn a lesson. TIME haha and some days I don't think I have enough time. Heck I'm 52 and every day I think how many days do I have left to enjoy my reefing that I did 20 yrs ago. Sometimes I think will I wake up the next day?? Gawd I hope to be around another 30+ years but having a heart condition my days are numbered sad to say. But positive side of things is I'll refuse to move on and fight for the tanks life and my own at the same time :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I hear ya, yeah I'm happy to have .04 tbh but it's a struggle keeping N and P anything above ZERO! But I'll myself keep poking away and focus on the 2 and nothing else.

And you say it's a puzzle lol, yeah mine is a mystery puzzle but different circumstances were involved but I did learn a lesson. TIME haha and some days I don't think I have enough time. Heck I'm 52 and every day I think how many days do I have left to enjoy my reefing that I did 20 yrs ago. Sometimes I think will I wake up the next day?? Gawd I hope to be around another 30+ years but having a heart condition my days are numbered sad to say. But positive side of things is I'll refuse to move on and fight for the tanks life and my own at the same time :)
Hang in there, enjoy the majesty of our hobby.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my H2O this morning and my Phosphates are at .04 and Nitrates are 2.8. Starting today I'll up my dose from 10ml to 15ml for both NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I'm also picking up 3 Wrasses today from my LFS so hopefully I'll be feeding a bit more as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results this morning

Phosphate .09 Nitrate 7.3

I'm going to continue on dosing 15 ml of both the NeoPhos and NeoNitro daily. I'll retest on Saturday if I have similar results I'll up my dose again, getting close.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phosphate .13 Nitrate 11

Seems I may have found the sweet spot at 15 ml daily of the NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I'm going to continue on and test again on Wed. If things remain at these levels I can stop testing twice weekly, instead checking every two weeks.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Phosphate .13 Nitrate 11

Seems I may have found the sweet spot at 15 ml daily of the NeoPhos and NeoNitro. I'm going to continue on and test again on Wed. If things remain at these levels I can stop testing twice weekly, instead checking every two weeks.
Well done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back