Our Generations next Great Advancement in Automatic Feeder Technology

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've added 3 Wrasses and I wanted to add an automatic feeder to my 90 Gal. The tank has a large glass lid with hinged front panel for access and a 2" plastic strip along the back for light cutouts and cords. This plastic strip is my only access point. I drilled a small hole in the plastic strip and placed the funnel inside. I attached a small section of hose so it extends below the water line. Last I raised the feeder above the funnel and set the timer. First feeding everything worked perfectly, feeder drum spun and pellets floated out of the tube over the next 30-45 seconds. Fish were lined up below the tube like a T. Swift concert within 15 seconds of food hitting the water.

20230730_151450.jpg 20230730_151415.jpg

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've added 3 Wrasses and I wanted to add an automatic feeder to my 90 Gal. The tank has a large glass lid with hinged front panel for access and a 2" plastic strip along the back for light cutouts and cords. This plastic strip is my only access point. I drilled a small hole in the plastic strip and placed the funnel inside. I attached a small section of hose so it extends below the water line. Last I raised the feeder above the funnel and set the timer. First feeding everything worked perfectly, feeder drum spun and pellets floated out of the tube over the next 30-45 seconds. Fish were lined up below the tube like a T. Swift concert within 15 seconds of food hitting the water.

Very MacGyver of you!! Very intuitive solution IMO

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wrasse would find their way up the tube, onto the floor, and surf all over the carpet...

But this is a pretty sweet idea.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That tube and funnel neck is a small restriction. Be sure to clean it regularly. Over time as food drops in and takes time to sink some will become saturated and stick to the walls. It will clog up

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be a funnel vs something larger that doesn’t clog up? You’re just trying to get the food to soak and drop before floating away.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be a funnel vs something larger that doesn’t clog up? You’re just trying to get the food to soak and drop before floating away.
My biggest concern and obstacle is the glass lid and not allowing gaps for fish to escape. The funnel has the duel purpose of catching the food while still only needing a small access point. In my head a fish could push out the hose and funnel and still have little chance of making it out the hole in the plastic strip.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the plank. Has a 2 inch tube with micro sicce in to keep the food mixing. I also throw a cube of mysis in the top opening and it feeds over the next 3 minutes as the mysis melts. The wrasses just line up.

IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5848.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding rings also work well here.
I'm trying to get food to the fish while I'm at work. As it is now 4 days a week the fish get fed once a day. I usually put seaweed in a clip on these days but thats mostly for my Yellow Tang. I never really stressed the feeding schedule but with the Wrasses being so called active fish I'm trying to be a little more consistent with my feeding.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the plank. Has a 2 inch tube with micro sicce in to keep the food mixing. I also throw a cube of mysis in the top opening and it feeds over the next 3 minutes as the mysis melts. The wrasses just line up.

IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5848.jpeg
That's awsome. I've thought of going custom on the lid. Was it a worthwhile investment for you? I like the idea of added par without the glass but I'd need to add ATO.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awsome. I've thought of going custom on the lid. Was it a worthwhile investment for you? I like the idea of added par without the glass but I'd need to add ATO.
This was one of the best investments I have made. I have run this tank with the glass top, a wood canopy, and even the BRS diy screen top (what a point of sale). This one makes it so easy to feed with the feedind ports. I had a cut out made for the plank snd one for several probe wires. Very easy to remove. No fish gets out of this top.

IMG_5853.jpeg

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was one of the best investments I have made. I have run this tank with the glass top, a wood canopy, and even the BRS diy screen top (what a point of sale). This one makes it so easy to feed with the feedind ports. I had a cut out made for the plank snd one for several probe wires. Very easy to remove. No fish gets out of this top.

IMG_5853.jpeg
I've got the DIY screen on my Clown tank, not a huge fan. That's the tank I originally considered for the Lid but now that I've rebooted my Big tank it may need an upgrade. Who did you go through for the lid? I think I was quoted something like $400 for the 50G clown tank, this is a 90 so ouch!

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm such a nerd! Lol

Just added a third feeding to my auto feeder and ran a little test.

Fed using auto feeder

10 seconds after food hits water the first pieces start to drift out of the tube

25 seconds in and the first fish discovers food in the water

over the next 4 minuets food drifts out of the tube, sometimes a piece or two others 30 pellets or so (not stuck together)

I saw ZERO food enter the overflow and fish ate from one end of the tank to the other as well as grouping under the tube.

After feeding was complete my Yellow tang stirred up the sand in the corner directly under (far under) the tube and stirred up a few pellets and that concluded my feeding. Success.

20230802_112324.jpg

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back