Dosing Nitrate and Phosphate while tank is running fallow

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to suck out the bryopsis when it starts to turn white and weakened. But you arent battleing a full blown outbreak, right? I mean, the amount toxins released can't be too high. You said it was just popping up in a few spots.
I think that the tank is too unstable right now. Finish off the fluconazole treatment, get some fresh water in there and set up a doser or a strict regimen for your no3 po4 and stabilize.
What happened here is the lack of fish food and waste caused your bacteria population to contract and the bryopsis stepped in when you started doseing po4. The problem is what will step in when the bryopsis is gone? Gha? Cyano?
Maybe some Micro bacter 7 or another bottle bac would be a good idea after the flucon. I know it seems counter intuitive to dose nutrients and bacteria at the same time but you need to give your microbe population time to increase enough to get back to handling fish waste.
Now that I think about it you are likely going to have to treat this as if you are stocking a new tank. One or two fish at a time slowly.

OP
OP
S

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on slowly introducing fish. I have fish in QT/copper treatment right now so I'll add them slowly

I didn't have an outbreak, but they sure did explode quickly. Most of it was in my frag tank that I kept inside my cabinet. It had a deep sandbed and from what I read, bryposis is so insidious, it can process nutrients straight from detritus. That's probably what happened because the sand bed exploded with bryposis .

In hindsight, I should not have dosed no3/po4. My sps were 'ok'...just getting pale. They probably would have lasted until I introduced my fish.

I think I already have some cyano, the red slime variety. There were pockets of there even before all I started dosing no3/po4.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back