Dosing Nitrate and Phosphate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the shorthand. Carbon dosing almost always means organic carbon dosing.

Ordinary nitrate (NO3-) and phosphate (PO4---) contain no carbon and are not organic. :)

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what i dont understand, probably because my understanding is wrong. So when you carbon dose the bacteria multiply and consume N and P? So what is the food for the bacteria, is it the vodka or the N and P?

Sorry if i got this all wrong.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what i dont understand, probably because my understanding is wrong. So when you carbon dose the bacteria multiply and consume N and P? So what is the food for the bacteria, is it the vodka or the N and P?

Sorry if i got this all wrong.

Carbon dosing is adding something like vodka (ethanol) or vinegar (acetic acid).

Bacteria and other organisms, including sponges and corals, take up the organic molecule and burn it (oxidize it to CO2) for energy. They then may grow more, and to grow they need to build tissue, which uses many things, including a source of N and a source of P. Assuming you did not add those, they decline.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wouldnt dosing nitrate and phophate do the same thing? Or is that like adding a dessert and not the full dinner lol

lol

Most folks dose organic carbon when nitrate and phosphate are already too high, and they want them lowered.

Adding more N and P does not drive growth when levels are already normal to high since they are not limiting to growth or bacteria.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nvm. I got it youre trying to lower the n and p and if you add it theres no reduction

Im so stupid

No problem. It's good to understand why folks do what they do, and not just follow a recipe. :)

OP
OP
jduong916

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. It's good to understand why folks do what they do, and not just follow a recipe. :)
Yeah, i just totally forgot. I was dosing nitrate and phosphate just to keep levels high enough so dinos dont take a hold. Then i started thinking what the heck im feeding bacteria am i carbon dosing again? Lol totally skipped my mind the reason why people carbon dose.
Thanks again Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i just totally forgot. I was dosing nitrate and phosphate just to keep levels high enough so dinos dont take a hold. Then i started thinking what the heck im feeding bacteria am i carbon dosing again? Lol totally skipped my mind the reason why people carbon dose.
Thanks again Randy!

You're welcome.

Good luck with the dinos!

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we’re on the subject, does carbon dosing reduce ph (since co2 is a byproduct) and if so by any detrimental amount?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we’re on the subject, does carbon dosing reduce ph (since co2 is a byproduct) and if so by any detrimental amount?

It does lower pH and potentially consumes O2.

Whether that is detrimental or even detectable depends on the dose and the system details, but it is the reason I recommend dosing during the day and not at night.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back