Dosing NOPO4-x for Nitrates

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing my 120 gallon with this stuff because of high nitrates with how I cycled. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have kept dosing ammonia to cycle the tank like I would a freshwater tank. Essentially I kept dosing ammonia trying to get nitrites to read 0 after 24 hours. Only after I read an article from Randy about nitrites in the marine tank did the light come on. I could have stopped dosing ammonia when ammonia spiked, and fell to 0 in a 24 hour period.

Regardless, in doing what I did, my nitrates were WAY high, like over 100ppm. I was able to tackle them hard with water changes (did 25g changes twice a week), and eventually got the nitrates down to under 40. I have since started dosing this product, and doing my normal 10gallon changes once a week.

I started out using the vinegar dosing table for 100 gallons. My total system volume is approximately 115. That was 3 weeks ago. I tested Nitrates today and it's at 0ppm!

Should I cease dosing? or start to wean down the dosing like I built up to 14ml? I have no fish in the tank, just some snails, so my nitrates were from how i cycled, not overfeeding. I was getting some hair algae (normal in a new tank from what I've read because it's just not mature enough at this time), but that is dying off. Instead of looking like blades of grass, it looks like a droopy flower stem :)

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything in tank except snails. I drop in a pinch of pellets once a week or si

Volpone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good input ,do u have the charted for vinegar dose ?
I had same of ur issue in my old system and i tried almost everything to drop nitrate .
I hope also tgat Randy will share his experience with vinegar dose .

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34c4a852beb27582e630b031034cdd16.jpg

OP
OP
pdiehm

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience? Not my my friend. I am a tank newbie.

I don't dose anything. I was dropping the required dose in the morning. My pH per Apex stays in the 7.9-8.0 range. May be a tad low, but still acceptable as it very little from those numbers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for ur reply ,for ur experience with vinegar ,have u notice any change in parameter ?do u use kalk to keep ur parameters stable while u dose vinegar?

I don't track most things, but you can expect a significant nitrate drop, a smaller phosphate drop, and a pH decline. The effect on anything else should be fairly minor, especially with regular water changes.

Volpone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, despite that chart being linked into one of my articles, I don't fully agree with it. There's no reason to think a 1000 gallon tank only needs twce the dose of a 25 gallon tank. :)
Thx Randy , so do u have any another charted to follow dose ?
And which acetic u prefer in vinegar 5% or 6 %

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Randy , so do u have any another charted to follow dose ?
And which acetic u prefer in vinegar 5% or 6 %

Any white distilled white vinegar is fine. I don't have a chart, but I'd ramp up fast than that one does, at least after the first 3 weeks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back