Dosing phosphates

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are undetectable. All tests showing 0 on a Hanna checker. Nitrates are 25-30.

I’ve picked up some aqua forest p04+ and will begin dosing tonight. It says 1ml per 100L to bring it up 0.01, and max daily dose of 1ml per 100L. Is it okay to go slightly above that? Say 2-3x on initial dose?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates are undetectable. All tests showing 0 on a Hanna checker. Nitrates are 25-30.

I’ve picked up some aqua forest p04+ and will begin dosing tonight. It says 1ml per 100L to bring it up 0.01, and max daily dose of 1ml per 100L. Is it okay to go slightly above that? Say 2-3x on initial dose?
The reason they would say that is so that you don't accidentally overdose and create an algae paradise.

If you're certain of the test result, there is no harm in dosing more as the phosphate is going to be taken up by carbonate structures in the tank.

You will probably find that even if you dose 3ml per 100l, after 24 hours the reading will again be zero, and you will need to dose more.

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they would say that is so that you don't accidentally overdose and create an algae paradise.

If you're certain of the test result, there is no harm in dosing more as the phosphate is going to be taken up by carbonate structures in the tank.

You will probably find that even if you dose 3ml per 100l, after 24 hours the reading will again be zero, and you will need to dose more.

Yes this is what I was worried of, I was hoping to boost it and then maintain at 1ml/100L until I can get things stable again.

I was attempting to raise via over feeding but this was throwing my nitrates even higher. Going to do another water change and begin the phosphate dosing.

How often should I be checking phosphates after dosing?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is what I was worried of, I was hoping to boost it and then maintain at 1ml/100L until I can get things stable again.

I was attempting to raise via over feeding but this was throwing my nitrates even higher. Going to do another water change and begin the phosphate dosing.

How often should I be checking phosphates after dosing?
I'd check the next day to see where you are.

Once you get a reading slow down the dosing because it takes just as long to take it out as it does to put it in..
You really don't want to end up over 0.05ppm

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check the next day to see where you are.

Once you get a reading slow down the dosing because it takes just as long to take it out as it does to put it in..
You really don't want to end up over 0.05ppm

Perfect sounds like a plan. I’ll mess it up, but a plan none the less.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation for the first couple of doses is 0.02 to 0.03 ppm. Most folks wont detect any of that 24 h later. Then ramp up the dose as needed so you detect what you want 24 h later. .

I also recommend food grade sodium phosphate as it is cheap and guaranteed purity.

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation for the first couple of doses is 0.02 to 0.03 ppm. Most folks wont detect any of that 24 h later. Then ramp up the dose as needed so you detect what you want 24 h later. .

I also recommend food grade sodium phosphate as it is cheap and guaranteed purity.
Good to know! I bought the reef stuff this round but in the future I’ll look for cheaper options.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back