Dosing Phosphorus questions

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all, and happy friday. @Randy Holmes-Farley could you help me understand the need to dose phosphorus? I received my latest icp test Link, per this evaluation i am low on Phosphorus and nitrate. I have started dosing ATI's nitrogen solution but am curious about dosing phosphorus. Is there a difference between Phosphorus and Phosphate? Should i dose it? I understand phosphate is a good thing at very low levels, and is easily available from most fish food or other additives. I only ask because the test also indicated im deficient in iodine, after dosing per the recommendation i had green slime algae within a week :(. Any clarification would be appreciated.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for views!
Can you post a copy of the icp test.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm phosphate is a lil low...nothing a lil extra feeding wont fix. I am unsure on the phosphorus and what benefits it might have in the reef...but i wouldnt look to additionally dose it. If its a trace element water changes should help raise it.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm phosphate is a lil low...nothing a lil extra feeding wont fix. I am unsure on the phosphorus and what benefits it might have in the reef...but i wouldnt look to additionally dose it. If its a trace element water changes should help raise it.
I havent performed a water change since starting this tank.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d aim for 0.01 to 0.03 ppm phosphate, or 1/3 that amount of phosphorus. It is needed by all photosynthetic organisms.
Thanks! So i need to do nothing, also to verify my phosphorus number should be .006?. According to my ICP test im their currently.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back