Dosing phyto and pods

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and have a 140 gallon tank with mostly softies and a few LPS that is just over 2 years. I want to start dosing live phyto and pods. I have a chaeto fuge which was started about a month ago and is doing well. I have a few questions:

1. What is a good live phyto source? I tried Tommy’s phyto from BRS for about a month. Dosed 40 mL a day. Didn’t see much effect. Is there a better source? Phytoprme from RU Salty has good reviews but a bit pricey. Any experience with this product? They recommend dosing 0.5 cups/50 gallons 1x a week and shutting down skimmer for 24 hours post dose. Is it better to dose smaller amounts more frequently or larger doses less frequently?

2. I also want to dose pods for general food source and nutrient control. There are a lot of sources. Any recommendations? I got a jar and added it about a week after I started the fuge and phyto dosing but can’t see any so I’m assuming they died and/or were eaten. One vendor recommended 3 gallons a month for my system. That seems like a lot considering they should be able to safely breed in my fuge. Wondering if they are just trying to sell a lot of product.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reefing and have a 140 gallon tank with mostly softies and a few LPS that is just over 2 years. I want to start dosing live phyto and pods. I have a chaeto fuge which was started about a month ago and is doing well. I have a few questions:

1. What is a good live phyto source? I tried Tommy’s phyto from BRS for about a month. Dosed 40 mL a day. Didn’t see much effect. Is there a better source? Phytoprme from RU Salty has good reviews but a bit pricey. Any experience with this product? They recommend dosing 0.5 cups/50 gallons 1x a week and shutting down skimmer for 24 hours post dose. Is it better to dose smaller amounts more frequently or larger doses less frequently?

2. I also want to dose pods for general food source and nutrient control. There are a lot of sources. Any recommendations? I got a jar and added it about a week after I started the fuge and phyto dosing but can’t see any so I’m assuming they died and/or were eaten. One vendor recommended 3 gallons a month for my system. That seems like a lot considering they should be able to safely breed in my fuge. Wondering if they are just trying to sell a lot of product.
I suppose my first question is what exactly are you feeding in the tank? A clam or something? Clams really do like the phyto and if it's a small one they actually likely need it depending on the size. Mine actually needed to be fed periodically till about 4 inches. The phyto source though I really don't think makes any difference, all of them are small enough to be consumed by anything in the tank, coral, clams, etc.

As far as the pods though I see no reason to "dose" them at all. If the tnak is healthy, has ample live rock, you'll end up with a zillion pods that freely reproduce. Save your cash for something more important down the road.

Lastly, there are other options for coral/clam feeding that also work and are far more cost efficient. Personally I like Reef Chilli that BRS sells. It doesn't raise the phosphate and once the coral figure it out there is a great feeding response. Usually I put in a little when I feed the fish so they sense the feeding is coming. After a few minutes the polyps come out and can feed rest. You can also spot feed but I just broadcast feed because with the coral I have I don't see any difference with the extra effort.

OP
OP
kdtorgy

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose my first question is what exactly are you feeding in the tank? A clam or something? Clams really do like the phyto and if it's a small one they actually likely need it depending on the size. Mine actually needed to be fed periodically till about 4 inches. The phyto source though I really don't think makes any difference, all of them are small enough to be consumed by anything in the tank, coral, clams, etc.

As far as the pods though I see no reason to "dose" them at all. If the tnak is healthy, has ample live rock, you'll end up with a zillion pods that freely reproduce. Save your cash for something more important down the road.

Lastly, there are other options for coral/clam feeding that also work and are far more cost efficient. Personally I like Reef Chilli that BRS sells. It doesn't raise the phosphate and once the coral figure it out there is a great feeding response. Usually I put in a little when I feed the fish so they sense the feeding is coming. After a few minutes the polyps come out and can feed rest. You can also spot feed but I just broadcast feed because with the coral I have I don't see any difference with the extra effort.
Good question. at this point I don’t have a fish that requires pods but might want a mandrin in the future. I’m mostly interested in phyto and pods to act as part of the cleanup crew and provide a natural food source for the fish and corals. I think that after seeding the tank I shouldn’t need to add pods too frequently as the Phyto will provide a good food source and the fuge a source of protection for breeding.

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i culture phyto and pods. got my phyto culture starter from mercer montana and apocalypse pods from algae barn :) make sure to use freshly made saltwater, not existing tank water when you start your cultures ) i use drink dispensers under a florescent light with airline tubing in em. take the tubing out to feed with hydroalgal fertilizer. i add fresh saltwater to the culture every time i harvest, i’ve found greater success with lower salinity levels ~1.019.

Dipper Pines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is a good live phyto source?
I know that you asked about live source, but I used live and not live and found that is nothing better then easybooster

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back