Dosing Pump Question

Leonard Sixt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jeabo dp-4 - saw many videos where folks are doing well with this dosing pump. Also saw information about how to "fix" the pumps as they come assembled wrong. Been through all of that.

I have a RedSea Max Nano (AIO) tank so my dosing requirements are small - like between 1-5ml at most per day. The pump programming will allow it - but I have issues with it no matter what I try. IE - for small dosing amounts, you have to throw the directions out the window as the pump isn't very accurate at small dosing amounts - did that.

I've also read the pump should be above the "sump" but not above the level of the tank. No clue what that even means for AIO tanks.

In any event, the video reviews I've looked seem to have the pump above the sump - (in my case that isn't possible - since the sump and tank are at the same level). Seems this pump is able to pull solution from a container and pump it up over the back of the stand, up and over the back of the aquarium and into the water - without issue. (Unless of course you are trying to dose 1mm or so)... 10ml or more - seems the pump does fine (for those that need that much).

I guess I don't understand the logic on where the pump is actually located relative to where it needs to dose? Any input on that would be helpful.

I need to dose about 5ml daily - and it seems to me that during the 24 hours of dosing - the solution (via gravity) seems to seep back down the tubing - so next dose is less, next is less, and so on until nothing is dosing at all.

I've put a check valve at the very end of the line (where it enters the tank) - but that didn't seem to do much to help.

I'm thinking of adding another check valve down near the container to see if that makes any difference, but it I can't get it to work, it may be available for shipping if anyone is interested.

That said, who is dosing small amounts (1-5ml) with success and what pump(s) are you using?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the exact same dosing pump as you, more than two years now, I can accurately dose 1ml easily. Should be able to handle 0.5 ml.
I spent some time over a week to fully calibrate this pump, it was not accurate out of the box.
The dose enters the DT at the top in an area of high flow. The lines run down about 2’ into the cabinet and into the dozer. Then the feed lines run down to the bottom of the cabinet where I use 4 glass mason jars to hold the ALk, CA, MG and Nopox.

The product should not be moving backwards at all. I have no check valves.

My lowest dose is 1ml MG, 10:00am, once a day. It has kept MG at 1360 since day one.
My highest dose is ALK, 2ml each hour starting at lights out, and ending at lights on, so about 23 ml a day.

Last edited:

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run this pump on a nano tank (IM Nuvo 20) and have diluted my reagents by 50% with DI water to increase the overall volume. I have had no issues!

OP
OP
L

Leonard Sixt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO here's the issue. The pump may very well be working but All For Reef seems to have clogged the line in many locations. There is a lot of precip out of All For Reef, it's all in the dosing container for the most part, but maybe getting sucked into the lines????

I'm using silicon tubing - maybe I should switch to a hard line?????

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back