Dosing pump/ tube for liquid food

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m trying to figure out what dosing pump head or tube can pass larger suspended food particles like the nyos gold pods or aqua forest liquid mysis etc.
They can easily pass through the tubes but not my pump head. It gets blocked before getting into the pump head. I’ve seen people do this on the internet but nobody specified which model of dosing pump or tube they used. I’m wondering if anyone have succeeded dosing liquid food automatically and how.
please share your thoughts! I currently have a D-D pro dosing pump. Would the reef factory pro work since it’s supposedly for dosing “larger amount of liquid”? Does that mean it can pass larger particles or it just passes more quantity quicker?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy non aquarium specific peristaltic dosing pumps with larger tubing inside the head. Look for a 3/8 model.
Even the 1/4" stenners we use at work have larger pump head tubing than the 1/4" brs pumps i have at home.

And fwiw, i think theres a few threads with diy fridge feeders you could copy :)

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy non aquarium specific peristaltic dosing pumps with larger tubing inside the head. Look for a 3/8 model.
Even the 1/4" stenners we use at work have larger pump head tubing than the 1/4" brs pumps i have at home.

And fwiw, i think theres a few threads with diy fridge feeders you could copy :)
Yes I’ve seen those diy fridge feeders I think fridge part will be easy but getting the right dosing pump seem to be the tricky part
It’s actually hard to see the specs of the tubing for pumps for sale on the internet
Also non aquarium ones will be hard to control remotely. Some can’t even be set on schedule
What do you think of this one?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve seen those diy fridge feeders I think fridge part will be easy but getting the right dosing pump seem to be the tricky part
It’s actually hard to see the specs of the tubing for pumps for sale on the internet
Also non aquarium ones will be hard to control remotely. Some can’t even be set on schedule
What do you think of this one?
I have brs 1.1ml/hr fixed dosers and i control the schedule with a kasa smart power strip timer.
Aquarium specific doesnt matter one bit.
But if its a fixed doser, try to get one that is in the range you need

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for dosing foods which doesnt need to be exact dosing every time, i would use one off of amazon, maybe this one would work, just make sure to grease and change the regular silicon tubing once every couple of months with this type of dosing pump

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a doser? I’m using the BRS 1.1 doser but the dosing tube male nipple gets clogged after 5 - 7 days.

I’ve seen a couple posts with people using the Neptune DOS, but I don’t want to spend $300 just to dose liquid food.

OP
OP
S

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a doser? I’m using the BRS 1.1 doser but the dosing tube male nipple gets clogged after 5 - 7 days.

I’ve seen a couple posts with people using the Neptune DOS, but I don’t want to spend $300 just to dose liquid food.
Nope I’m still looking for a solution. I definitely don’t plan on buying an expensive doser for this purpose either

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered trying a Versa but the price just went up to $165…

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltyreef

Any recommendations on a brand or model?
We have some stenner fixed output pumps that use 3/8 tubing but youll need to find one rated more towards your application as these are too big for what youd want to use them for.
(10gpd fixed)

They do make smaller models with built in timers but i dont think it would have 3/8 tubing in the head.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back