Dosing Pumps Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello BRS,
I posted this in the equipment forum but didnt get a response so I will check with you guys.
I have 4 brs dosing pumps and 2 of them are making a grinding noise when on. Any help on why this is happening? I was going to replace dosing tubes and internal tubes but dont want to spend the money if the motors are bad and need to buy new pumps.
Can you please advise @Bulk Reef Supply
Thanks

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the heads. I don't see them on the site but I believe you can replace them fairly cheap.

ReefersDelite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello BRS,
I posted this in the equipment forum but didnt get a response so I will check with you guys.
I have 4 brs dosing pumps and 2 of them are making a grinding noise when on. Any help on why this is happening? I was going to replace dosing tubes and internal tubes but dont want to spend the money if the motors are bad and need to buy new pumps.
Can you please advise @Bulk Reef Supply
Thanks
Are the Jaebo ones? Either way, you may need to replace the heads on them.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it might depend on how much noise you're hearing. I wouldn't say the BRS dosers are silent,and it's normal for them to have a bit of motor noise, but it shouldn't sound like grinding gears. I assume you've had these for a while and they haven't sounded like this previously? I would say it's worth reaching out to our customer service if there's a concern with those two pumps. We have a 12 month warranty on the pump motors as well, and we're happy to take care of any issues.

OP
OP
Coronus

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess it might depend on how much noise you're hearing. I wouldn't say the BRS dosers are silent,and it's normal for them to have a bit of motor noise, but it shouldn't sound like grinding gears. I assume you've had these for a while and they haven't sounded like this previously? I would say it's worth reaching out to our customer service if there's a concern with those two pumps. We have a 12 month warranty on the pump motors as well, and we're happy to take care of any issues.
I appreciate that. I understand the warranty process. It’s more about finding out how to fix it.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid that I couldn't really advise on repair for something like this. While it might be possible to source a replacement motor, it's not something we carry. I believe we've looked into this in the past and the cost of the motor itself was nearly as much from the manufacturer as the whole assembly. I'm sure most of the cost is in the motor, as the housing is pretty basic.

ir_danno22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TOP OFF DOSER - 50 ML PER MINUTE Noise fix.

Not sure if you've fixed that gear noise with the BRS pump. I tore mine apart to the motor. There are 4 metal tabs to pull back that hold the cover to the gear assembly. Once the cover is off, you'll see the gears and the motor magnet with a small pinion gear on it. The grease from the factory had mostly dried out and was not sticking to the gear teeth which I figured caused the majority of the noise. Since all I had on hand was automotive brake grease, I applied it liberally on all the gears and spinning the gears, almost like packing a vehicle bearing. This grease is really thick and sticky so I had no doubt it wouldn't dampen the gear noise. I put everything back together with a new dose tube and ran the pump using the same roller pump head. It's much quieter, probably quieter than brand new. I've had my pumps since 2010 only using them as an auto top-off pump controlled by the relay outlets on my EB8. Hopefully the brake grease doesn't affect the plastic pinion gear, all the other gears were metal. I recommend finding a plastic safe grease that is as thick as the brake grease.

If I tear into my other pump, i'll make sure to take pictures.

V/r,
Dan

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back