Dosing pumps.?? Or stay manually

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm reading the wrong stuff, I didn't realize limewater, or is it kalkwasser, that would take care of both? I thought the kalk only took care of Alkalinity . Do you have a sps dominated tank? And what size tank are dosing 500 ml? Limewater seems to be the most cost effective way to go, correct?

Its a 200 gallon tank. Only a few sps right now. My dose is really low. Yep it takes care of both, thats the nice thing about limewater. I only lose about .5ish dkh per day of alk. Limewater and kalkwasser are the same thinf with different names. The chemical name is calcium hydroxide. The only downside to it is if you add too much ph will rise, thus very high demand tanks will have problems keeping alk and cal up with limewater because the ph gets too high for the amount needed. Limewater/kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide mixed into fresh water. And yes limewater is the most cost effective way for me. I buy it in bulk. I bought a container of "no name" brand lime for like 30$ cad. In 6 months ive used half or 15$. And i waste lots when i wash it out, and because i dont measure, so it might last even longer if i were to use the 2tsp per gallon. For me its like 30$ a year on low demand not measuring Very high demand for alk/cal might be 100$ a year with lime but thats a guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 200 gallon tank. Only a few sps right now. My dose is really low. Yep it takes care of both, thats the nice thing about limewater. I only lose about .5ish dkh per day of alk. Limewater and kalkwasser are the same thinf with different names. The chemical name is calcium hydroxide. The only downside to it is if you add too much ph will rise, thus very high demand tanks will have problems keeping alk and cal up with limewater because the ph gets too high for the amount needed. Limewater/kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide mixed into fresh water. And yes limewater is the most cost effective way for me. I buy it in bulk. I bought a container of "no name" brand lime for like 30$ cad. In 6 months ive used half or 15$. And i waste lots when i wash it out, and because i dont measure, so it might last even longer if i were to use the 2tsp per gallon. For me its like 30$ a year on low demand not measuring Very high demand for alk/cal might be 100$ a year with lime but thats a guess.
My consumption is about the same, and my total water volume is about 200 gals., and my tank is packed with frags, using 100-120 ml/ day of each. Ca in the morning and Soda ash at night. Does that sound about right? Less than a gallon of R/O replaced daily? That's what I'm doing since the new T-5's. About 20 fish, medium to small. Here's a pic from today! White sticks on left were just put back in after a Monti-eating nudi(s) destroyed a large colony.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic from my local tank, I don't spend any money here, just fresh water filter pads every 4-5 months, no heaters, no sump, no skimmer, just the filter pads and free Bay water, 20 gal every 3-4 weeks, and no food. I catch crabs and small bait fish to feed the grouper, he's 1 year old, got him at 2" last September in a trap. Yep, that's a Blue-claw crab, they grow very fast, he was 2-3" early August. He's too big for the grouper to eat now, but any small crab never hits the bottom. I only feed Live bait during the summer.
image.jpg

I'm returning the grouper to Sea tomorrow, and I'll see what my traps collect for the future. Follow reefers come and look, and are more interested in my 60 gal. Local tank

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My consumption is about the same, and my total water volume is about 200 gals., and my tank is packed with frags, using 100-120 ml/ day of each. Ca in the morning and Soda ash at night. Does that sound about right? Less than a gallon of R/O replaced daily? That's what I'm doing since the new T-5's. About 20 fish, medium to small. Here's a pic from today! White sticks on left were just put back in after a Monti-eating nudi(s) destroyed a large colony.
image.jpg
Yes that sounds about right. Tank looks good.

OP
OP
Tautog

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it's getting there, but still grows slower than grass. The new lights were definitely a step in the right direction. A few mistakes, a few pests, I hate getting stuff I don't want, nor did I pay for them, my tank did, and the corals that swim

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't put a budget on important things, then for an ATO, I'd go Tunze 3155 Osmolator... if you wait for Black Friday sales, Premium Aquatics discounts them $50 bucks every year. For the Doser, I'd go GHL 2.1 Standalone Doser. These two products are top of the line in their respective categories. I personally own the Tunze 3155 and if I didn't own an Apex to run my BRS dosers, I'd own the GHL Doser.
Was wondering if you have your BRS dosers dosing just two part and what time schedule you have them on, i am thinking of using BRS dosers to dose ATI essentials which is similar to 2 part dosing, except i would have to use a third doser

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that as I will be switching over from BRS 2 part to ATI Essentials as well. With the BRS 2 part, I was dosing 24/7 with Alk at the top of the hour and Ca at the bottom of the hour. When I switch over to ATI Essentials, I will be dosing 24/7 at the 00, 20 & 40 minute marks for parts A, B & C respectively.

As always, programming the BRS dosers is made super easy with this Reeftronics dosing program, generator.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that as I will be switching over from BRS 2 part to ATI Essentials as well. With the BRS 2 part, I was dosing 24/7 with Alk at the top of the hour and Ca at the bottom of the hour. When I switch over to ATI Essentials, I will be dosing 24/7 at the 00, 20 & 40 minute marks for parts A, B & C respectively.

As always, programming the BRS dosers is made super easy with this Reeftronics dosing program, generator.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php
Will you still be using the BRS doses on Apex?

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I just picked up a 3rd BRS doser recently as well as a Skimz 3 chamber dosing reservoir. All three dosers will be run on a dedicated EB4 as all 4 outlets are relay switches.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dlc3-dosing-reservoir-skimz.html
How is the build quality on the skimz reservoir??

I need to get an EB4, a reservoir and thrid BRS doser, i was thinking of getting a GHL 2.1 doser but everyone seems to swear by the BRS dosers which i happen to have two of already that are brand new.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the quality as it’s still in the box! :D A bunch of people got the 4 chamber version to run Triton and by all accounts, the build quality is superb. The GHL is no doubt the best stand alone doser out there IMO, but I have been very happy with the BRS dosers and their controllability through my Apex. I was lucky enough to score a used EB4 for $80 not too long ago. You could also pick up a used EB8 as well. between 2 EB8s you’d have 4 relay outlets to use.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the quality as it’s still in the box! :D A bunch of people got the 4 chamver version to run Triton and by all accounts, the build quality is superb. The GHL is no doubt the best stand alone doser out there IMO, but I have been very happy with the BRS dosers and their controllability through my Apex. I was lucky enough to score a used EB4 for $80 not too long ago. You could also pick up a used EB8 as well. between 2 EB8s you’d have 4 relay outlets to use.
That was a great deal on the EB4, i almost rather get the EB4 because all four outlets are relay... I will keep my eyes open for a used one

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back