Dosing Pumps - Recommendations

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a dosing pump, alk and calc mandatory, perhaps 2 additional channels optional for Mg and ???. Primary criteria are: Reliable. Doesn't fail in pump-on condition. Reliable. Self contained and doesn't need an ap. Compact.
I am considering the Readsea Reefdose 4 and would like any opinions and experiences anyone wants to share. I have one BRS "1.1 ml/min" pump, which seems pretty robust, but it requires external control which reduces its robustness, and it's pretty bulky, so I'd rather have an all-in-one solution that's a little smaller.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a dosing pump, alk and calc mandatory, perhaps 2 additional channels optional for Mg and ???. Primary criteria are: Reliable. Doesn't fail in pump-on condition. Reliable. Self contained and doesn't need an ap. Compact.
I am considering the Readsea Reefdose 4 and would like any opinions and experiences anyone wants to share. I have one BRS "1.1 ml/min" pump, which seems pretty robust, but it requires external control which reduces its robustness, and it's pretty bulky, so I'd rather have an all-in-one solution that's a little smaller.
The BRS dosers are bulletproof

Jg2269jg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a versa running my Kalk, RD 4 adding supplemental ALk and traces and a Kamoer doser running my freshwater tank additives all work great but all rely on a app. I love and would by any of these again.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the exact same position as you. I have 2 BRS but I agree they are bulky. Plus when I get into serious corals and need high calcium levels I’m not sure they will be able to keep up. So I’m looking at Red Sea as well. I have other Red Sea stuff and they work great. But as mentioned there RDS does have an app.

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "no app" requirements is secondary to reliable. The only thing I really have against apps is they all want access to everything on your phone when they obviously do not need it.
Thanks for the responses, no one has come out and said the RedSea killed their tank, so I will give it a shot.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two rd2 and one rd4 both are extremely user friendly apps im not tech savvy at all. They are at a good price point for the quality. I started with the rd2 and loved it so much I bought the rest, its very reliable for the past 2yrs and also the replacement parts are cheap enough, I got replacement heads for cheap enough from r.s and the tubes are around the same cost not much. Overall if it's your first app driven doser I would recommend them.

jweese151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that simple for me I’m disabled so my funds are extremely limited it would take me at least a yr to get back to even close to what I have literally I mean I’m workin off like $100-$150 a month on reefing max and most of the stuff I have I’ve gotten extremely good deals on and would have to pay 2-4x as much to get even close to the same size and color of coral if I could even find the stuff good luck finding another 15yrs green and purple splatter hammer for $120 again or an 8in diameter Jedi mind trick for $100 or a 10” rainbow bra for $40 I’ve gotten extremely lucky with most of my corals/inverts…. Idk I’ll keep considering the jebao but it’s gonna be hard to convince myself to go with a lesser quality pump when I could afford to buy a high quality one for not too much more yea I get a quarter as many heads so in comparison it’s drasticLly more expensive but when it comes to something like a dosing pump, which are already known to not last as long as most equipment, I think it’s smarter to go with the higher quality one for something so vital that acts as a protection on my investment thus far but I do like getting the most bang for ur buck jus scares me with this it’s not like a wavemaker for instance where movin water is movin water and if it stops working it’s not gonna fry ur corals or a light fails it’s not gonna kill ur corals as long as u replace it wothin3-5 days but this fails and I could be starting all over again gonna be a really tough decision for sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back