Dosing question

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning #reefsquad,

So using the brs calculator. Enter my values. My dkh is low at 6.8. I set target value at 8.5, told me 5.99ml. So I dosed 3ml and tested 24hr later, and was still 6.8? I was expecting half the increase. What am I missing?

I use aquavitro salt, last two batches I've notice after 24hr mix its below 7. So I want to bring levels up, to where I'd like to keep them. In my display. I'm currently trying to dos my frag/invert QT tank.

Current parameters are:
Dkh 6.8
Cal 443
Mag (dont currently test)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - 6.8-7 is not that low...

What are you dosing?

How big is your tank? Unless very small it’s unlikely that 6ml of soda ash or bicarbonate would have almost any impact on alk.

In any event you should not raise alk from 6.8 to 8.5 in a day or even a week, probably best to do gradually over a couple of weeks if you have sps.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - 6.8-7 is not that low...

What are you dosing?

How big is your tank? Unless very small it’s unlikely that 6ml of soda ash or bicarbonate would have almost any impact on alk.

In any event you should not raise alk from 6.8 to 8.5 in a day or even a week, probably best to do gradually over a couple of weeks if you have sps.

Sry, frag tank is 48g. 6ml was to raise it to 8.5. I only added 3ml as I knew not to dos to fast. Was only dosing dkh. I'm using soda ash.

But I didnt notice any increase

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO you must be reading something wrong or entering data wrong. I have an 80g system and 3ml or 6ml would do nothing to raise my alk by 0.01 dKH. Also, try testing the alk a second time about 15 to 30 minutes after you dose, don't wait 24 hours. Heck, I dose 50 ml of soda ash to my 80g system every day to hold alk at 9.0 dKH and it's mostly zoas and rock flower anemones.

The calculator I use says you should be adding 116.5 ml of Randy's recipe 2 which is soda ash.

I'm assuming your alk numbers are measured in dKH, right?

This is the simple calculator I use:
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ron and would like to add that you need to test mag as its very important to know your levels when dosing. If your mg is low your are going to have issues.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO you must be reading something wrong or entering data wrong. I have an 80g system and 3ml or 6ml would do nothing to raise my alk by 0.01 dKH. Also, try testing the alk a second time about 15 to 30 minutes after you dose, don't wait 24 hours. Heck, I dose 50 ml of soda ash to my 80g system every day to hold alk at 9.0 dKH and it's mostly zoas and rock flower anemones.

The calculator I use says you should be adding 116.5 ml of Randy's recipe 2 which is soda ash.

I'm assuming your alk numbers are measured in dKH, right?

This is the simple calculator I use:
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Measuring dkh correct. I'll check out that calculator. Your right, I must be missing something. Here is the product I had bought for dosing dkh.

20190618_202407.jpg

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ron and would like to add that you need to test mag as its very important to know your levels when dosing. If your mg is low your are going to have issues.

I will get a test kit. I had just assumed that my water changes once a week would keep mag in check.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a test kit. I had just assumed that my water changes once a week would keep mag in check.
Some algae and corals use more then replaced with water changes. I recommend the Salifert mg test kit, it’s easy to use and accurate.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That soda ask should work OK. I buy my soda ash from a pool supply store. I think I got a 25 pound bucket for $25. It works just the same as what you are using.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back