Dosing red sea trace colors

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the color of some of my coral has not been as vivid as I'd like. And after a few triton test many of the things in the red sea color program are super low or zero. I thought I'd give it a try. They recommend dosing their iron supplement to a level of .15ppm. Is that not really high? Or am I missing something. I bought their trace color test kit also. My thought was that id test initially and dose their program, then switch to dosing based off of calcium consumption, which for me is 70ml a day.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I remember Tritons setpoint is 0.1. It is their detection level. I dose iron as long as I do not get a reading on Tritons analyses. I dose with Triton iron.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I remember Tritons setpoint is 0.1. It is their detection level. I dose iron as long as I do not get a reading on Tritons analyses. I dose with Triton iron.

Sincerely Lasse

Triton set point is .1ug/l. Red sea is saying to dose to .15 ppm. Wouldn't .15ppm be 150ug/l?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their iron recommendation is way overkill, IMO.

IMO, it is so their kit can detect it. That much is definitely not needed.

That's what I was thinking. I read one of your old articles where you said you dosed at (I believe) around 1-2 ug\l of Iron. I think I will skip dosing it. Or is there a benefit to dosing small amounts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. I read one of your old articles where you said you dosed at (I believe) around 1-2 ug\l of Iron. I think I will skip dosing it. Or is there a benefit to dosing small amounts?

Many organisms, especially macroalgae, seem to benefit for it, but experimenting and seeing is fine too.

Some folks dose high amounts to control phosphate by iron phosphate precipitation. IMO, that's the only plausible rationale for high doses.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my Triton Tests results article:

Iron (Fe). The natural iron level varies a lot with depth, but surface seawater may have only 0.006 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.3 µg/L. I dose iron, and when I dose it I boost iron to roughly 1-2 µg/L, which would be detectable. This sample was taken more than a week after the last iron dosing, and none was detected as it gets depleted in the meanwhile. I’ve not yet seen a Triton test result for a real aquarium sample that had detectable iron, but that doesn’t mean these tanks are necessarily deficient. Iron is also a case where the form is critical, and ICP cannot distinguish form. Binding to organic matter, for example, can alter the bioavailability of iron.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back