Dosing small amounts with Jebao dosing pump

Jacob holley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Jebao DP-4 and I was about to send it back because I dose 1-4ML of stuff a day (acro power, alk, cal) and it was super off by almost twice the dose. The instructions say to calibrate at 100ML so I did that and still no luck. After playing around with it I found that if you calibrate it to 10ML and multiply your desired dose by 10 it is almost spot on. For example I want 1ML so I program it for 10ML. The upside to this is you can also dose fractional measurements like 1.5ML. Anyway, thought I would share my findings.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Jebao DP-4 and I was about to send it back because I dose 1-4ML of stuff a day (acro power, alk, cal) and it was super off by almost twice the dose. The instructions say to calibrate at 100ML so I did that and still no luck. After playing around with it I found that if you calibrate it to 10ML and multiply your desired dose by 10 it is almost spot on. For example I want 1ML so I program it for 10ML. The upside to this is you can also dose fractional measurements like 1.5ML. Anyway, thought I would share my findings.
You just solved the problem i was looking for answers to.. How to do fractional doses!

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How off is this on your doser? I am trying it on mine and it is not really close enough to be accurate. I've calibrated first two pumps to 10mL to check if it was one or the other and they are the same result. Calibrated to 10ML and then run a test dose of 150ml in order to get true 15ml dose ends up 18-19ml every time. A test dose of 50ml ends up with 6ml instead of 5ml. I can't seem to get it any more accurate than that. I guess it should be close enough for a 1.5ml or 3.5ml dose if I break up my total doses into enough small doses, but I can't even get it to output an accurate 10ml when I calibrate it to 10ml and test dose at 100ml. You'd think that one would be dead on given thats what it has ben calibrated for.

Is there any trick to getting this doser more accurate? Different tubes? I've connected some 3/16" ID, 1/4" OD tubing to the dosing pumps. Wondering if maybe I need slightly tighter ID tubing, if maybe there is some tiny loss in vacuum or something. Also flicked all the air out of the tube lines at the pump connections. Nothing seems to get this as accurate as you would expect at such low qty dose.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Was able to get the accuracy closer after purchasing a more accurate graduated cylinder set to use for calibration and testing. Also took a little more effort to get more air out of the lines. Not perfectly accurate, but close enough now!

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How off is this on your doser? I am trying it on mine and it is not really close enough to be accurate. I've calibrated first two pumps to 10mL to check if it was one or the other and they are the same result. Calibrated to 10ML and then run a test dose of 150ml in order to get true 15ml dose ends up 18-19ml every time. A test dose of 50ml ends up with 6ml instead of 5ml. I can't seem to get it any more accurate than that. I guess it should be close enough for a 1.5ml or 3.5ml dose if I break up my total doses into enough small doses, but I can't even get it to output an accurate 10ml when I calibrate it to 10ml and test dose at 100ml. You'd think that one would be dead on given thats what it has ben calibrated for.

Is there any trick to getting this doser more accurate? Different tubes? I've connected some 3/16" ID, 1/4" OD tubing to the dosing pumps. Wondering if maybe I need slightly tighter ID tubing, if maybe there is some tiny loss in vacuum or something. Also flicked all the air out of the tube lines at the pump connections. Nothing seems to get this as accurate as you would expect at such low qty dose.

I really know nothing but am looking at getting a Doser and have been doing some reading. One post said to be sure to calibrate with the length of tubing you are using in your tank set up. Not sure if that will help but thought I’d throw it out there.

glad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you !
solved my problem
I also thought it was the dosing pump, almost made me spend $150 on a brand name dosing pump. Came across this post and recalibrated the pump for 10ml set the pump to 50ml which is 5ml it’s dead on thank you for sharing your findings!
cheers

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but still valid. I am starting to dose H2O2 and I need 24 small 0.5ml doses overnight. I had a DP-3 laying around I wanted to use. I did exactly like you said and set it to a 5ml dose.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back