Dosing the trifecta

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to link this in Bobby's antibiotics write-up for ease of access.

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

Last edited:
OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I was dreading having to figure it all out for the first time

Haha! You're welcome. Took me a while to find the info myself. I've also helped a handful of people with the dosing so I decided I'd just post it!

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do this as a preventative Measure or should I wait until they show signs?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do this as a preventative Measure or should I wait until they show signs?

That is a great question. Just like in humans, you don't want to over use antibiotics as the body will adjust and build up an immunity to the meds and then will be useless when they are truly needed.

That being said, there are a few fish that are so prone to bacterial infections that kill them so fast, it makes you think it may be a good idea. For example, the Copperband Butterfly is so prone to developing "red sores" that quickly go into a really bad lethal bacterial condition that kills the fish so fast that by the time you start treating with antibiotics it's often too late. That is the one fish I would seriously consider treating prophylactically with antibiotics.

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question. Just like in humans, you don't want to over use antibiotics as the body will adjust and build up an immunity to the meds and then will be useless when they are truly needed.

That being said, there are a few fish that are so prone to bacterial infections that kill them so fast, it makes you think it may be a good idea. For example, the Copperband Butterfly is so prone to developing "red sores" that quickly go into a really bad lethal bacterial condition that kills the fish so fast that by the time you start treating with antibiotics it's often too late. That is the one fish I would seriously consider treating prophylactically with antibiotics.
Wow knthanks I think thays what happened to my black scopus tang one day perfect next day little red spots all over him so dosed kanaplex and then yesterday died :/

cliffclaven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to be careful of cross contamination? Like with ich and stuff

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you dose all 3 on day 3 (and beyond) do you dose based on total tank volume, or the 25% volume?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you dose all 3 on day 3 (and beyond) do you dose based on total tank volume, or the 25% volume?
Total tank volume for all doses.

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using zealite with this to reduce water changes?I ask because I fear it will affect medication even though I highly doubt it will.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried using zealite with this to reduce water changes?I ask because I fear it will affect medication even though I highly doubt it will.

I honestly don't know. The only media that I've ever used is biomax. @Humblefish did an experiment with seachem matrix and found that it does not absorb copper either, even when used in a reactor! Perhaps @Big G @HotRocks or @4FordFamily might know

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I wish I could be more of help. I'm not familiar with the product. Nor have I seen any threads about it.

I also use Biomax, without any problems absorbing ABX or copper.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back