"Dosing" to increase salinity?

https://www.triton.de/en/

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
After my debacle with the refractometer, I've got a lot of advice about topping up with seawater, water change and replace with seawater etc.
Yes, one of my old mistakes was simply dumping salt into the tank... Which i won't repeat.

But I'm just wondering... What's the reason i shouldn't just mix up a batch of super high salinity water and "dose" a few ml each day, much the same way as dosing alk or calcium?

Spare time

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd imagine becomes incredibly cost ineffective to use salt as a way to replace major elements. I'm sure there are other reasons but cost would be my main concern.

OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd imagine becomes incredibly cost ineffective to use salt as a way to replace major elements. I'm sure there are other reasons but cost would be my main concern.
No no i don't mean as a way to replenish lost elements... I mean as a way to increase salinity

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
No no i don't mean as a way to replenish lost elements... I mean as a way to increase salinity
If you try to make seawater or salt mix too concentrated, calcium carbonate will precipitate. Just use normal salinity.

OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
What's your current salinity and your target?

You may get precipitation trying to mix too high of a salinity. You'll also be adding alk, ca, mg, and everything else that's in the salt at a higher concentration.
It was 1.020. target is 1.026.
After a few water changes and top ups, it's now 1.023

Spare time

View Badges
Reaction score

Ah I understand. Personally I think it would be easier to just raise it slowly via small water changes. That way you are cleaning the tank at the same time.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
I had to raise my salinity a bit so I just took my ATO pump out of the RODI and placed it in mixed 35ppt saltwater. I checked the salinity often enough so that when I reached my desired level in the DT I moved my pump back to the RODI.

https://www.triton.de/en/

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 273 61.1%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 107 23.9%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 68 15.2%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 292 65.3%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 43 9.6%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 289 64.7%