2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I'd like someone to confirm my math..

Per Randy:

1.88grams to 1 L of water will allow 1 mL of solution to raise 100L of water by .01ppm.

Similar to confirm,

1mL of solution will raise 150L of water by .005ppm.

Additionally what's the most you can dose at once? My tanks are sitting closer to .01 and I want them closer to .1 ppm. Can I dose 10ml of this liquid safely?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose trisodium phosphate. I keep my tank at or slightly above .03 ppm. At times, consumption of phosphate can be about .05 ppm per day. So my phosphate levels bounce around. I don’t have problems as long as a stay a bit above .00 ppm. But I never add as much as .1. But what is the rush? You can get up to .1in a few days and avoid the risk.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose trisodium phosphate. I keep my tank at or slightly above .03 ppm. At times, consumption of phosphate can be about .05 ppm per day. So my phosphate levels bounce around. I don’t have problems as long as a stay a bit above .00 ppm. But I never add as much as .1. But what is the rush? You can get up to .1in a few days and avoid the risk.
I'm trying to fight dino right now. Can't have bottom our

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that you might dose 0.1 ppm and after 24 h, even with zero biological consumption, the value might be only 0.01 ppm because so much can bind to rock and sand surfaces. So you can’t rely on exact calculations to guide a needed dose to raise levels.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that you might dose 0.1 ppm and after 24 h, even with zero biological consumption, the value might be only 0.01 ppm because so much can bind to rock and sand surfaces. So you can’t rely on exact calculations to guide a needed dose to raise levels.
Randy for a mixed reef you'd recommend .04 ppm to be safe?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy for a mixed reef you'd recommend .04 ppm to be safe?

That’s a fine dose and a fine final level After you’ve dosed for a while.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed 4ml last night measured this afternoon and it registered 0ppm.... I dosed another 4ml before dinner and tested after dinner 1 hour later and still measured 0ppm...

I thought the tester was broken so I tested my other tank and got .11ppm which is inline with what the tank has been consistently.

I can understand I have a massive dino outbreak - however... 4ml should have brought it up to .04ppm in theory, it was used that quick?

Should I dose more?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed 4ml last night measured this afternoon and it registered 0ppm.... I dosed another 4ml before dinner and tested after dinner 1 hour later and still measured 0ppm...

I thought the tester was broken so I tested my other tank and got .11ppm which is inline with what the tank has been consistently.

I can understand I have a massive dino outbreak - however... 4ml should have brought it up to .04ppm in theory, it was used that quick?

Should I dose more?

Let me repeat my post above lol

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me repeat my post above lol

I understand that - but how do I adequately know I dosed the right amount?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to fight dino right now. Can't have bottom our
Did you ever stop and think that maybe you are fighting abnormalities because of all of these manipulations that you are doing? Mother nature doesnt like competition. Use a good salt mixture like Fritzs rpm and a good skimmer and you wont need to ask questions like this.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just take some of my water, it sits at .15 today, the lowest I've had it in years! lol
Feed your fish. The rest will take care of itself.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever stop and think that maybe you are fighting abnormalities because of all of these manipulations that you are doing? Mother nature doesnt like competition. Use a good salt mixture like Fritzs rpm and a good skimmer and you wont need to ask questions like this.
see now I can agree with you that I may be making too many adjustments - however, you can't just expect salt to combat alk / ca consumption and there is a learning curve to set this all up. When I began to dose alk / ca for my coral consumption my nitrates & phosphates began to go haywire.. I am trying to bring them back into check.

If I just let the tank go... and use a "good" salt mix the thousands of dollars of corals will in fact die lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back