Dosing tsp hELP

ricky1348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some guidance, I've been dosing tri sodium phosphate ( savogran brand) I found where it was talked about before and followed the 1.88g per liter of rodi water and tried dosing for a couple weeks using that solution and found that I had to add about 100 ml to get up to .1 ppm ( hanna checker) only to have it back at 0 Ppm 5 hours later so I through the solution on the doser and doubled the potency of the solution and that's what I'm currently dosing so 3.76 g per liter of rodi well I'm dosing 4 mls every hour 24 hrs I'm hovering around .03 ppm but I just dont get why it's taking so much ... am I doing something wrong here? I threw away my cheato because it was dying and making a giant mess in my display everytime I blew on my sump... also i noticed at night time when i shine my flashlight in my tank in the dark and look from above the water you can litterally see a beam of light because theres soo many particles in the water I dont know of that's from precipitation or what heres a few pics of the product I'm using and the lables.. theres a note on it says something about the elemental phosphorus content being like 6.1% so idk if that has anything to do with why it's so weak and maybe I'm just dosing such a small amount it's almost just rodi water lol please help ... the corals seem to be doing okay I have SPS that are encrusting and LPS that are always fluffy and happy but yes any help would be appreciated thanks in advance
20220315_194736.jpg
20220315_194851.jpg
20220315_195038.jpg

OP
OP
ricky1348

ricky1348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would probably be helpful to know what size my system is it's a 100 gallon total water volume 75 gallon bear bottom display 40 breeder sump with a 20 gallon frag tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I just dont get why it's taking so much ..

Easy answer: when raising phosphate, rock and sand bind most of it and it always takes far more than calculated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not already, run your dosing solution and amounts through this calculator using the entry for phosphate by potassium phosphate to make sure you are dosing what you expect:

OP
OP
ricky1348

ricky1348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response sir, so according to that calculator what I'm dosing to my tank amounts to .76ppm within a 24 hr period and my reading this morning was .09 ppm on the hanna , does this seem ok?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response sir, so according to that calculator what I'm dosing to my tank amounts to .76ppm within a 24 hr period and my reading this morning was .09 ppm on the hanna , does this seem ok?

If you believe thee Hanna is functioning properly, yes.

I would expect to begin dosing much less, since phosphate is currently plenty high enough.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back