Dosing Vinegar

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the amount to dose pre gallon. From the minimum (start) to maximum (End point). Is it .08ml per 25gallons. I want to try this on my 40 breeder with 25 gallon sump. Total volume is close to 50 gallons.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've never entirely understood that chart since it makes no sense that the dose for a 1000 gallon tank at week 16 is ony twice that of a 25 gallon tank (and yes, it is from my article (link below), but it was added after I last reviewed it :D ).

I also dose more than these and think you can ramp up faster.

IMO dosing amounts depend on the tank and the goals of dosing.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but its a good reference to start if you never dosed this stuff before. Personally I don't dose vinegar I prefer vodka.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've never entirely understood that chart since it makes no sense that the dose for a 1000 gallon tank at week 16 is ony twice that of a 25 gallon tank (and yes, it is from my article (link below), but it was added after I last reviewed it :D ).

I also dose more than these and think you can ramp up faster.

IMO dosing amounts depend on the tank and the goals of dosing.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium
so what do you recommend if I would like to get to ulns. It is 50 gallons.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is way way smarter than me when it comes to this stuff so take my 2 cents for what its worth. If you don't have experience with carbon dosing use the chart. Reason is sure it will take you a lot longer to get where you want to be but you will also have almost no chance of overdosing the tank. You could go faster but till you get your feet wet and know what you are looking for it never hurts to go slow.

Keep in mind I dose vodka and follow a similar chart and its never done me wrong. With that said I would assume this chart is very similar but with vinegar. However Randy is the vinegar dosing guru so I would listen to him before any chart even though I stole it from his writings lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is way way smarter than me when it comes to this stuff so take my 2 cents for what its worth. If you don't have experience with carbon dosing use the chart. Reason is sure it will take you a lot longer to get where you want to be but you will also have almost no chance of overdosing the tank. You could go faster but till you get your feet wet and know what you are looking for it never hurts to go slow.
I agree with he about going slow. I am want to try this to compare it with my 180 on Zeovit.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have elevated nitrates. I have a sump full of cheato. I do not have any hair algae. I do have a little cynao in the fuge on the cheato.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove the cheato. I would like to get to ulns and use some zeovit products with the vinegar. I want to see if I can go vinegar route and do the same as zeovit but without the stones.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you may be able to replace the Chaeto with organic carbon dosing, but might also need some extra help bringing down phosphate since organic carbon dosing is normally disproportionally effective t reducing nitrate relative to phosphate.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you may be able to replace the Chaeto with organic carbon dosing, but might also need some extra help bringing down phosphate since organic carbon dosing is normally disproportionally effective t reducing nitrate relative to phosphate.
what do you recommend to use. I have gfo but was thinking of trying something else.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides GFO you can use GAO (phosguard) works the same as GFO but hear it may work a little better but not sure as I have never used it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you recommend to use. I have gfo but was thinking of trying something else.

GFO or aluminum oxide are suitable, as is dosing nitrate to get the bacteria to use more phosphate. I use lots of methods at once (macroalgae, vinegar, GFO, skimming, GAC and lots of live rock).

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, that chart didn't make sense to me either.....1000 gallons uses 2x what a 25 gallon is dosed? Do you have a ml per gallon suggestion? I understand it varies, but at least a base.
Been a long time, I was on RC quite a bit but just coming back after about 3-4 year break.
Thanks,
Todd

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think "per gallon" is an especially good way to judge, but IME, 2+ mL per gallon was too much for my tank, while 0.1-1.0 mL per gallon seemed to be OK. That is more than many people dose, and may be because I do not remove detritus from my system. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back