Dosing Vinegar

TDTA1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd certainly think upping it 20% per week is a fine plan, and you could probably go a lot faster. :)

If I started vinegar what's a good starting dose? I've read w/ vodka when you get to your preferred nitrate reading you cut your dose in half & that's your maint dose per day. Does the same apply w/ vinegar? Also thought I read somewhere that (w/ vodka) if maint dose is greater than 5ml it's preferred to split the dose throughout the day & only dose w/ lots are on. Wondering if this is the same w/ vinegar?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, a reasonable starting dose might be 0.5-1 mL per 10 gallons. Whether you find you need to reduce the dose depends on what your goal is. I didn't approach vinegar dosing with an attempt to bring down nitrate, but to transition from macroalgae to organic carbon. So I didn't start with high nitrate.

Splitting up the doses of all organic carbon methods is good as they reduce O2 and pH.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Randy I'm starting to dose vinegar and my tank volume is 300gal so 15mlx3 per day is good. My nitrate level now is 50ppm so I want to lower it down. Corals and fishes are fine no algae in the tank.

GoGoGeeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start dosing vinegar and I'm going to start with the recommended on the chart. I had a question though. When I start getting to the higher doses is it safe to do it all at once or should it be spread out? Also what happens if you stop dosing?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be spread out, because Vinegar is an acid and will lower the pH of saltwater.
If you have a pH monitor, it is easy to see test and determine the high-end of each dose. For comparison sake, in my 180l tank, 15ml was enough to lower pH from 8.1 to 8.0.
Some will also recommend to only dose when lights are on (and pH high). However, if your doses are small enough, you can safely spread it over a 24hs period.

Lastly, if you stop dosing, bacteria will start and you will have to restart the carbon dosing ramp up schedule. Also, if carbon dosing was your primary or single form of nutrient removal, it is likely your tank will have a spike in No3 and Po4. So, if you plan to stop, start thinking about a fallback alternative, such as extra surface media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start dosing vinegar and I'm going to start with the recommended on the chart. I had a question though. When I start getting to the higher doses is it safe to do it all at once or should it be spread out? Also what happens if you stop dosing?

For all at once dosing, I recommend saturating it with calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser mix). That will prevent the immediate pH drop.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@raultsu this is my schedule, for your reference.
4.2ml, 38 times a day, everyday and over a 24hs period.

Night/day question has been answered a few posts ago.
27875370421_09c57318e7_b.jpg

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose once per hour, 24 hours a day. PH drop drop is negligable...barely a minutes tick on the charts.

joaocdestro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you may be able to replace the Chaeto with organic carbon dosing, but might also need some extra help bringing down phosphate since organic carbon dosing is normally disproportionally effective t reducing nitrate relative to phosphate.
16 nitrate for each 1 fosfate - if you go zero in nitrate you should dose nitrate to reduce fosfate

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16 nitrate for each 1 fosfate - if you go zero in nitrate you should dose nitrate to reduce fosfate

I don't believe that organic carbon dose follows that ratio, but the sense of it can be correct. :)

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been carbon dosing for about a month and my alk has slowly climbed up to 9 dkh. i stoped alk dosing and i think im going to do a 5% water change every 2 weeks. is that a good plan to bring alk back down to around 7 - 8 dkh?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been carbon dosing for about a month and my alk has slowly climbed up to 9 dkh. i stoped alk dosing and i think im going to do a 5% water change every 2 weeks. is that a good plan to bring alk back down to around 7 - 8 dkh?

Bringing the alk down is only needed/desirable if you have very low nutrients. Just carbon dosing does not imply a need for lower alk.

Do you know the nitrate and phosphate levels?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley I have a typical .018 for po4 and 5ppm no3
Does the low po4 create any concern during dosing?
My goal is to increase bacterial population as a whole for the health of the tank and no3 control
I am stepping away from triton is the reason I am dosing

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley I have a typical .018 for po4 and 5ppm no3
Does the low po4 create any concern during dosing?
My goal is to increase bacterial population as a whole for the health of the tank and no3 control
I am stepping away from triton is the reason I am dosing

Those values, IMO, do not require any special alk since they are not super low. There is also plenty for bacterial growth to feed filter feeders. :)

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a local forum I was told to try this schedule for dosing vinegar
What are your thoughts on this Randy?

0.1 ml per gallon for 7 days(week 1 )
0.2 ml per gallon for 7 days (week 2)
0.3 ml per gallon for 7 days (week 3 )
0.4 ml per gallon for 7 days (week4)

With 24 ml a day for a few months, in my 60'ish gallon total system, I found I had way to much bacterial growth
Even gummed up my skimmer.

3e445deeaf1116730c0424bd3e506a8f.jpg

Cut it back to 16ml a day and not so bad, just bumped up to 18ml will see how it goes.
I was dosing equal amouts every hour with BRS dosers to equal a totoal of 24ml a day.
Have been battling nitrates at around 20 ppm forever.
Phosphates are sitting around 0.06-0.08
Just recently changed my dosing to be during lights on hours only to counteract pH swing. Seems better.

Any thoughts @Randy Holmes-Farley ?
Maybe a bigger more efficient skimmer than my Bubble Magus curve 5?

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back