Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a local forum I was told to try this schedule for dosing vinegar
What are your thoughts on this Randy?

0.1 ml per gallon for 7 days(week 1 )
0.2 ml per gallon for 7 days (week 2)
0.3 ml per gallon for 7 days (week 3 )
0.4 ml per gallon for 7 days (week4)

With 24 ml a day for a few months, in my 60'ish gallon total system, I found I had way to much bacterial growth
Even gummed up my skimmer.

3e445deeaf1116730c0424bd3e506a8f.jpg

Cut it back to 16ml a day and not so bad, just bumped up to 18ml will see how it goes.
I was dosing equal amouts every hour with BRS dosers to equal a totoal of 24ml a day.
Have been battling nitrates at around 20 ppm forever.
Phosphates are sitting around 0.06-0.08
Just recently changed my dosing to be during lights on hours only to counteract pH swing. Seems better.

Any thoughts @Randy Holmes-Farley ?
Maybe a bigger more efficient skimmer than my Bubble Magus curve 5?

"Bacterial gum" is quite annoying and finding the sweet spot can be tricky sometimes.
It took me about an year to get it to acceptable amounts. I did it by lowering the amount of Vinegar, adding a black sponge with very large pores to collect the gum(filter socks clog too fast) and most importantly, reducing feeding.

I guess if you overfeed with organic carbon dosing, you can still maintain low nutrients, but the amount of bacteria produced will cause the gummy bacteria.

I also don't think a better skimmer alone, will take care of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Hello Dear randy
Why is it recommended when using carbon source that alkaline has to be between 7 and 8 ?
Thank you

I never claimed that it needs to be or should be.

IF nutrients are very low for any reason, alk should be 7-8 dKH to prevent SPS burnt tips (likely skeletal growth faster than tissue can keep up).

But if you have adequate nutrients, alk can be as high as you want (within reason), whether you dose organic carbon or not. ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back