Dosing: Which should I keep separate?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a list of what I may dose, Which combos of these should not mix and do I separate by A. spacing dosing lines B. Different dosing times C. both A & B?

CaCl
Calcium formate
Na bicarb
Soda Ash

iodine
manganese
potassium
Mag
Nitrate
Phosphate

I'd really like to do a slow continuous dose of all of them (except for ca/alk duplicated), any reason I shouldnt do that?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing so many calcium and alk methods together?
Sorry I should have clarified, the ca/alk methods are several I have done over time, right now it's just the bicarb and cacl with the others below, but I am curious if I were to change back if there would be any issues. I am curious about the mixing of any of them. Basically I am looking for the ones that should be separate like "if its this type of k, keep it from mag" or "seperate the ca and iodine" - I made those up btw, whatever issues you see on that list let me know. Thanks!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't enough info to fully answer, but I'll generalize. narrowing the question down will be a lot less work. lol

Magnesium chloride (not sulfate) can be put into calcium chloride. That is why my DIY is 3 parts.

Magnesium chloride (not sulfate) can be put into calcium formate as long as the calcium formatet does not have other ingredients and you do not try to put in too much.

Iodine as iodide can be put into calcium or alk mixes. Lugols should be kept separate from trace metals (e.h., iron, maybe manganese, etc.)

Potassium chloride and sodium or potassium nitrate can be put into any other supplement, but other potassium salts may not be mixable.

Sodium or potassium phosphate can be put into sodium bicarbonate solutions.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful as always Randy, sounds like most of it can be mixed! Just 3 more questions.

A. If you had to think of a list, say top 3 or 4 pairs of things people dose, that should not be mixed and dosing lines should be spaced if dosed continuously, what would that "keep these apart when dosing" list look like?

B. I'm guessing Cacl and Nabicarb and keeping kalk from both are on that list so one q about that, many people separate dosing times, but with a large sump it seems reasonable to dose both at opposite ends of the sump and little would precipitate, is it reasonable or should they be spaced by time?

C. And I know I should separate kalk from both ca and alk but which is it worse for kalk to be near, the ca, alk, or both equally?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any alk supplement should generally be kept apart from any calcium supplement with exceptions for supplements that carry both in a single chemical. Beyond that, it is highly chemistry dependent.

The idea of time separated dosing is so the concentrated clouds of the two do not interact. Any way of avoiding that is likely fine.

If I had to pick, I'd say dosing carbonate or bicarbonate near calcium hydroxide is worse than calcium near calcium hydroxide, since bicarb and carbonate are raising those levels proportionally much more than calcium dosing is raising calcium.

Back