Dosing

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing my tank with the BRS 2part ca/alk and also magnesium, now when I dose the tank I use 3 Drews Dosers and dose all at different times of the day.My question here is,is it ok to dose all at once ca/alk/mag via Drews Dosers?

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about Drews dosers but I drip them continuously. Just keep them a bit apart in a modest flow area so they don't precipitate out.

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drew's dosing pump for my CA and ALK, no MG due to Oceanic high mag content. I dose them in different times like 15 minutes apart 3 times a day. I'm not sure if it's alright to dose them all together in one area tho.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best way is to dose alk first then a few min later dose the rest . this prevents clumping in the dose which could irritate corals

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my drip line right above the return pump
Thanks Mavjoy.I also have all 3 of my drip lines dripping above my return pump,I just never thought about if there would be benefits of dosing all at the same time and was wondering what others thought.

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say it depends on your system. but dosing all at the same time in a low flow area is bad, if it is a good high flow, and you have a slow dosing rate and the outlets are not in the exact same place it will be fine.

with that said, there is no benefit or detriment to same time dosing or separate, other than abiotic precipitation if they in the local water area they are dosed into, if the levels get to high (from to little of mixing).

So I would suggest keeping them at separate times, even a few minutes should make sure you don't end up with abiotic precipitation events.

Kim

OP
OP
TopNotchCorals

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say it depends on your system. but dosing all at the same time in a low flow area is bad, if it is a good high flow, and you have a slow dosing rate and the outlets are not in the exact same place it will be fine.

with that said, there is no benefit or detriment to same time dosing or separate, other than abiotic precipitation if they in the local water area they are dosed into, if the levels get to high (from to little of mixing).

So I would suggest keeping them at separate times, even a few minutes should make sure you don't end up with abiotic precipitation events.

Kim
Thanks for the input Kim I was gonna stick to the seperate dosing pattern as I have been.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose them at different times, in a high flow area, first get Mg levels up, if Mg is low it is hard to get Ca up and stay up, once Mg is up it stays up and lowers at a slower rate then Ca and Alk 1 drop in Alk dkh = 7ppm drop in Ca, not measruable in hobby test kits, so dose your Ca first then then the Alk, I use Kalk to MAINTANE Ca and Ph but depending what is in your tank that can vary. I use more Alk then Ca do to alot of SPS's

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the stickies here on tank chemistry, it is alot of reading, but it sinks in as you read it, and sometimes it takes a few reads to get it all. the old saying is " I hear, I forget, I see it done, I understand, I do it, I know"!!!!!!!!!!:sure:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back