Dottyback Aggression

Cole_Voeller

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2022
Messages
627
Reaction score
173
Location
Fargo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
So a while back I got one of my dream fish, a super young springeri dottyback. Super cute dude, aquacultured, love him. I quarantined him with a Flametail blenny, and introduced the two together into their tank. A couple of times the flametail has chased the dottyback off, but other than that they have always been friendly. I got the dottyback young and aquacultured in hopes he would be more friendly. Today I introduced a diamond goby, and the dottyback immediately began trying to kill it. The diamond goby is probably at least 6 times as large as the dottyback, so the fact that the dottyback is going for it is incredible to me. I caught the dottyback (luckily it wasn’t too hard, he likes me), and put him in a breeder box to let the diamond gobys fins heal and to get himself established. Will leaving the dottyback in the box for a few weeks be enough to calm him down? Anything else I can try? Moving rockwork? Or could I put his breeder box into a different tank for the time being? The dottyback is a fish I’ve wanted for a long time, but I would hate for in a tank to only have a single blenny who mainly sits in his seashell, and one dottyback.
Thank you!
The problem child is livid about being in the timeout box

3A830B2F-8187-4FB1-A8FB-3C4E694EB358.jpeg
 
Dottybacks are know to be very aggressive. Maybe a "time out" in the breeder will help, but I can't say for certain.

I will say that my dotty back tolerated my clowns that were in the tank before him. . . but tried to murder anything that came after.
 
Dottybacks are know to be very aggressive. Maybe a "time out" in the breeder will help, but I can't say for certain.

I will say that my dotty back tolerated my clowns that were in the tank before him. . . but tried to murder anything that came after.
Yeah, I originally planned to get all the other fish I wanted, and then order the dottyback last, since I’ve never seen a store carry one. However a friend at my LFS knew how much I loved them, and called me saying he got one in stock, so it was in my car within 20 minutes haha. But your experience is why I’m thinking that I could possibly have some luck by sticking his breeder box into a different tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new