Dottyback Aggression

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
So a while back I got one of my dream fish, a super young springeri dottyback. Super cute dude, aquacultured, love him. I quarantined him with a Flametail blenny, and introduced the two together into their tank. A couple of times the flametail has chased the dottyback off, but other than that they have always been friendly. I got the dottyback young and aquacultured in hopes he would be more friendly. Today I introduced a diamond goby, and the dottyback immediately began trying to kill it. The diamond goby is probably at least 6 times as large as the dottyback, so the fact that the dottyback is going for it is incredible to me. I caught the dottyback (luckily it wasn’t too hard, he likes me), and put him in a breeder box to let the diamond gobys fins heal and to get himself established. Will leaving the dottyback in the box for a few weeks be enough to calm him down? Anything else I can try? Moving rockwork? Or could I put his breeder box into a different tank for the time being? The dottyback is a fish I’ve wanted for a long time, but I would hate for in a tank to only have a single blenny who mainly sits in his seashell, and one dottyback.
Thank you!
The problem child is livid about being in the timeout box

3A830B2F-8187-4FB1-A8FB-3C4E694EB358.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dottybacks are know to be very aggressive. Maybe a "time out" in the breeder will help, but I can't say for certain.

I will say that my dotty back tolerated my clowns that were in the tank before him. . . but tried to murder anything that came after.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks are know to be very aggressive. Maybe a "time out" in the breeder will help, but I can't say for certain.

I will say that my dotty back tolerated my clowns that were in the tank before him. . . but tried to murder anything that came after.
Yeah, I originally planned to get all the other fish I wanted, and then order the dottyback last, since I’ve never seen a store carry one. However a friend at my LFS knew how much I loved them, and called me saying he got one in stock, so it was in my car within 20 minutes haha. But your experience is why I’m thinking that I could possibly have some luck by sticking his breeder box into a different tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back