Downside for co2 scrubber?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im about to connect my co2 scrubber do u know if i should remove the cap and connect the co2 scrubber directly? Or leave the cap on and connect the tube next to it?
that cap serves as a gateway to connect make your co2 scrubber recirculating.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t get past 8.1 peak with windows & door wide open or sucking air from outside. I went with a recirculating CO2 scrubber and consistently hitting 8.4+. Yes, it’s a little pricey but I bought the 5g bucket from JorVet - can last almost a year on a 150g tank. If I can get 8.2-8.3 by sucking in outside air, I would definitely do it.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, you're right. the cap is to cover the other side.
Okay connected it few hours ago. How long does it take to start working usually ?

Attachments

• IMG_6540.jpeg
    IMG_6540.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 51

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Okay connected it few hours ago. How long does it take to start working usually ?
happens within a few hours. i noticed a change in my ph via my monitor in about 4hrs, but my apartment is small so it could by why. also, i run mine recirculating.

if you're not testing PH you wont know the change/increase unless you notice it with the corals.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happens within a few hours. i noticed a change in my ph via my monitor in about 4hrs, but my apartment is small so it could by why. also, i run mine recirculating.

if you're not testing PH you wont know the change/increase unless you notice it with the corals.
Its crazy how stable my Ph has been ever since i connected that scrubber. I decided against the recirculating way. Just for different reasons. But its been extremely stable. It went from 7.9 to 8.24. And not dropping moving. Very stable. Now my apex shows 8.24 hanna pen 8.2. But the hanna checker showing 8.0 im guessing thats the + 0.2 accuracy?

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wouldn’t run a scrubber without recirculating as it would cost a fortune to operate and you will be changing media constantly.

I also would not run a scrubber recirculating because you don’t get oxygen exchange and you need to be very careful about crashing your tank, I’ve seen it happen here several times.

tldr scrubbers work but have drawbacks. Open a window or unplug your pH meter ;)

I ran one both ways and ultimately I decided to run my skimmer line outside.
The media use is all dependent on how many people and pets are in the home. I do not recirculate mine and 1 canister lasts a month. There are 2 adults and 1 big moose of a dog. I use 2 canisters though so that the ph doesn't fluctuate constantly as the media gets used up

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media use is all dependent on how many people and pets are in the home. I do not recirculate mine and 1 canister lasts a month. There are 2 adults and 1 big moose of a dog. I use 2 canisters though so that the ph doesn't fluctuate constantly as the media gets used up
The tank is in my basement where my fish room is. Barely anyone goes down. Just me checking on the tank but thats about it

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, CO2 is heavier than air. CO2 will find it's way in the basement whether occupied or not.
When the media turns pink, is that means its exhausted! And needs change? I heard sometimes it turns pink, and goes back to white

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the media turns pink, is that means its exhausted! And needs change? I heard sometimes it turns pink, and goes back to white
If you have color changing media it will go from white to pink/magenta in color. It will not regenerate itself. Some media is much better than others as far as color changing from what I have read. I have a Duo Jumbo scrubber from BRS. It has two big canisters. When the first canister has fully changed colors and the second one starts to change color I remove the depleted canister and put the second canister in the first position and then empty and fill the used up canister and put it in position 2 so I always have fresh media going all the time.
Someone that uses a single canister can chime in on when they replace their media. I am assuming when they see a drop in CO2.
This is the media I use. It is used in the Veterinary industry, so close to if not hospital grade.
I buy this bulk size and it last me approx 6mos. My total water volume now that my refugium is up and running is 285gal and my tank is in the lower level of my house. My scrubber is set up a little different than most. I run a full recirc but also have a outside air input into the scrubber so my media may last a little longer than most.
JOR553B_1.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI, CO2 is heavier than air. CO2 will find it's way in the basement whether occupied or not.

I do not believe that is true, unless you have a point source of CO2 that can flow like a river through the air to the basement.

Any gas that contains a mix of heavy and light molecules will not significantly separate under gravity. There is too much random thermal (brownian) motion to allow demixing of the molecules.

This has more:

"Air masses of ‘normal’ size (say of <<1 km vertical extent) have almost uniform composition when at equilibrium; e.g. in a 100 m height air column, if there is 1 % of argon at the bottom (MAr=0.040 kg/mol, against MN2=0.028 kg/mol), there would be 0.995 % Ar at the top, at equilibrium, according to (4). "

Last edited:

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand what the cap for is that a silencer im guessing
Unsure which skimmer this is but my NYOS has the same for ozone.i just pop the scrubber line onto there & run other to venturi.on my bubble magus I ran scrubber to Venturi but it made it pretty noisy.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that is true, unless you have a point source of CO2 that can flow like a river through the air to the basement.

Any gas that contains a mix of heavy and light molecules will not significantly separate under gravity. There is too much random thermal (brownian) motion to allow demixing of the molecules.

This has more:

"Air masses of ‘normal’ size (say of <<1 km vertical extent) have almost uniform composition when at equilibrium; e.g. in a 100 m height air column, if there is 1 % of argon at the bottom (MAr=0.040 kg/mol, against MN2=0.028 kg/mol), there would be 0.995 % Ar at the top, at equilibrium, according to (4). "
I totally agree with your explanation. I guess I should of been more specific and said because the the CO2 molecules are homogeneity mixed with the air molecules you will have roughly the same CO2 level in the basement as the rest of the home. Occupation in one area of the home does not necessarily mean the CO2 levels in the other areas are going to be lower. Would that be a better explanation in simple terms?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back