Downside for co2 scrubber?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph is a bit lower than usual today. Im at 8.22 from 8.28 is that means my media is getting depleted. The color changing is only at the bottom part. Maybe because i spent a lot of time in tje basement today, doing water testing i dont know.
You have plenty of media left in the scrubber looking at the color change going on. The ph can fluctuate on a daily if not hourly basis due to the increase or decrease amount of CO2 entering the tank water. Spending more time in your basement more than normal could be the cause. My tank is in the lower level of my house along with my wife's craft room, and when she spends a large amount of time down there the upper limit of my desired ph either does not quite make it or takes longer to reach it. Same goes when my dogs decide to spend time in the lower level.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronic Solenoid Valve. Fresh Airline from Fresh Air Return 60ft away.
20230906_130046.jpg

Mind sharing where you sourced the valve from?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing where you sourced the valve from?

What's nice about this ball valve is it already has a 120vac plug wired in. Plug it into an outlet on you power strip and program the outlet for your desired power on/off. Unlike most solenoid valves, the electronic ball valve has internal limit switches for open and closed. When power is applied the valve will open and when the limit switch is triggered the valve motor stops and there is no more power draw from the outlet even though the outlet is on. When power goes off it utilizes an internal spring return.

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's nice about this ball valve is it already has a 120vac plug wired in. Plug it into an outlet on you power strip and program the outlet for your desired power on/off. Unlike most solenoid valves, the electronic ball valve has internal limit switches for open and closed. When power is applied the valve will open and when the limit switch is triggered the valve motor stops and there is no more power draw from the outlet even though the outlet is on. When power goes off it utilizes an internal spring return.

Oh cool thank you! Are they normally closed or normally open until power is applied? Description doesn’t specify how it works.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool thank you! Are they normally closed or normally open until power is applied? Description doesn’t specify how it works.
It is a normally closed valve which means when power is applied it will open. That is what the NC means in case you did not know.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a normally closed valve which means when power is applied it will open. That is what the NC means in case you did not know.
Oh cool thanks yeah I do but looked over the description several times and didn’t see it in the name haha

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Steve. By mistake today i overflowed my skimmer. With my scrubber connected on non recirculating way. Would that affect me? I know they say if you’re on recirculating way. And u overflow u are screwed

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S

Steve. By mistake today i overflowed my skimmer. With my scrubber connected on non recirculating way. Would that affect me? I know they say if you’re on recirculating way. And u overflow u are screwed
Since no fluid can enter the scrubber from a skimmer overflow in a non recirc, the effects would be that of a typical skimmer overflow. If you had a lot of waist in the skimmer cup you may see an increase in your NO3 and PO4.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no fluid can enter the scrubber from a skimmer overflow in a non recirc, the effects would be that of a typical skimmer overflow. If you had a lot of waist in the skimmer cup you may see an increase in your NO3 and PO4.
Do i change the media now or we still good? Noticed ph dropped to 8.2 tonight. I usually stop, at 8.25 at night and 8.28-8.3 day time.

Attachments

• IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 42

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i change the media now or we still good? Noticed ph dropped to 8.2 tonight. I usually stop, at 8.25 at night and 8.28-8.3 day time.
Looking at the photo I would replace the media. It has changed color at the top of the scrubber even though I see a few dead spots at the bottom and near the middle where the media did not change color. What brand of media are you using?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photo I would replace the media. It has changed color at the top of the scrubber even though I see a few dead spots at the bottom and near the middle where the media did not change color. What brand of media are you using?
Two little fishies. Bucket. Even though the color didnt change at the top? I still change it?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two little fishies. Bucket. Even though the color didnt change at the top? I still change it?
The area I put a box around looks blue in the photo compared to the white media in the middle. Is it actually blue or is it just a reflection causing it to look a light blue. If it is actually white then I would not change it yet.
IMG_7144_2.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area I put a box around looks blue in the photo compared to the white media in the middle. Is it actually blue or is it just a reflection causing it to look a light blue. If it is actually white then I would not change it yet.
IMG_7144_2.jpeg
I dont know if thats a better picture. But no the top is white still. The bottkm is all purple color. But my ph is like dropped to 8.0 at night from 8.25 not major.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if thats a better picture. But no the top is white still. The bottkm is all purple color. But my ph is like dropped to 8.0 at night from 8.25 not major.
Being it is still white I would continue using it. Not sure if I asked you this before but do you have a controller? If so could you do a screen shot over a week period? Would be interesting to see your trends. IMO a .25 difference from the night before is a major difference. How are you measuring ph? Any change in alkalinity? Did you change anything that increased you surface agitation? Any other changes? Are you still at 8.28-8.3 during the day? A .25 change from day to night is not uncommon but .25 change from night to night would have me looking for something that has changed.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being it is still white I would continue using it. Not sure if I asked you this before but do you have a controller? If so could you do a screen shot over a week period? Would be interesting to see your trends. IMO a .25 difference from the night before is a major difference. How are you measuring ph? Any change in alkalinity? Did you change anything that increased you surface agitation? Any other changes? Are you still at 8.28-8.3 during the day? A .25 change from day to night is not uncommon but .25 change from night to night would have me looking for something that has changed.
I apologize meant 8.25-8.28-8.3 to 8.2 tonight im at 8.19 right now. Before when the media was good i wa at like 8.25 stable at night now im at 8.19 and i use apex probe calibrated. Less than 3 months old. Confirmed by hanna pen. It does seem like the media is at the end of its life

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize meant 8.25-8.28-8.3 to 8.2 tonight im at 8.19 right now. Before when the media was good i wa at like 8.25 stable at night now im at 8.19 and i use apex probe calibrated. Less than 3 months old. Confirmed by hanna pen. It does seem like the media is at the end of its life
Ah! 8.19-8.2 is much better. The difference from 8.25 at night to 8.19 another night I would not worry to much about. If you feel you need to change the media then I would go for it but IMO you would be wasting media since you are saying only half has changed color. Since you have an apex I still would like to see a screenshot of your ph chart showing a weeks worth of data.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! 8.19-8.2 is much better. The difference from 8.25 at night to 8.19 another night I would not worry to much about. If you feel you need to change the media then I would go for it but IMO you would be wasting media since you are saying only half has changed color. Since you have an apex I still would like to see a screenshot of your ph chart showing a weeks worth of data.
Heres 2 pictures for u week data for ph, and idk if thats better pic for the media. It says it changes to pink. Mine is purple so not sure

Attachments

• IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7164.png
    IMG_7164.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that media is gone. I just dropped to 8.18. And i probably would still drop till it stabilizes somewhere. Ill change the media tomorrow. But inwas wondering why it changed to purple and not pink like they said

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres 2 pictures for u week data for ph, and idk if thats better pic for the media. It says it changes to pink. Mine is purple so not sure
All looks fine to me. As far as as not turning pink and turning blue I would contact Two Little Fishies about that. Mine turns magenta/purple color and I believe most other brands do also. I also get some fluctuations in my upper and lower ph but not enough to worry about. I run a lot of surface agitation and my home is very tightly sealed so I am sure my CO2 levels are a little high in the house. Both the wife and I are retired so we are home a lot more than when we were working and also have two dogs.

The little downward spikes are when I go into feed mode at approx 8:15am and 2:15pm and when I dose phyto at around 8pm
2023-10-25.png
20231025_194525.jpg

Very good media and cheaper when you purchase this bulk size. Many reefers are using this brand. Only media I have ever used.
JOR553B_1.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my scrubber recirculating and I had a lot of moisture filling the media RO container. I made a catch can as a temporary solution. I’m thinking to get a larger co2 scrubber and use this small RO reactor as a water catch can?

Is there a better way to do this that I’m missing?

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 22

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back