Downsizing a skimmer

Jennifer405

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
43
Location
Alexandria
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a couple threads that agree you should downsize a protein skimmer if you have a fleece roller. Should I downsize the skimmer further if I have a roller and a refugium?
 
I would run the roller only for the first month to see how it works, you could run the skimmer just for air for the tank, so turn it way down.
 
I would guess no. A filter roller removes particles in the water before they break down in the nitrogen cycle which is what a protein skimmer also does, so they're competing to remove the same stuff. A refugium on the other hand removes the nutrients after going through the process to become nitrate/phosphate.

Please keep in mind this is just my best guess though.
 
As others above have posted, don't adjust/remove your skimmer. Rather just adjust it to a lower setting. You may find you still want to have it running, even with the fleece roller/etc other filtration options.
Try instead using both and slowly remove 1 while replacing it with the other.
Good luck!!
 
Been using a filter roller for a few years, they do pretty good with removing what you see. Leave the skimmer, if anything just turn it down. It's removing doc and also providing oxygenation due to the bubbling.

I ran a skimmer previously that was a hair undersized for my 120g, it did great, pulled nasty skimmate, consistently. I upgraded after realizing part of my n&p always being elevated was due to not having enough skimmer capacity for my stocking load.
 
As I don't have any equipment yet, I appreciate the tips on there being options to operating the equipment other than off/on. thanks all
 
I'm confused about the comments to turn the skimmer down, I just got a clarisea and have a reef octo 150, I've dropped it lower in the tank, turned up the pump to 100 and raise the water level up just to get it to produce anything. Am I doing something wrong?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new