Downward trend in the tank, what could be happening here?

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, over the past month or so I've noticed my tank is starting to go a bit south. This is noticeable in the corals of course, the fish seem fine. Here's a general timeline:

- Utter Chaos paly's started to disappear / melt a few months ago, maybe 3-4 months ago.
- Purple monster paly's have all closed up (month ago)
- Half of the GSP on back glass are closed up (3 weeks ago)
- Strawberry shortcake acro turned purple, lost its purple / green color (3 weeks ago)

I did searching and apparently paly's like to close up sometimes, and sometimes they melt, then come back weeks or months later. Ok, so I didn't make a big deal of it. The acro I don't know, it's my first one so I am somewhat unfamiliar with its behavior.

Now one week ago I bought another acro, put it in my tank, and it IMMEDIATELY bleached. Like not even 2 days old, it went white. I attributed this to my poor placement but 2 days?? Something seemed off.

It came to a head yesterday when I noticed a big chunk of my SS acro I mentioned earlier bleached. And was bleaching fast. My bird's nest also showed signs of small bleach spots.

IMG_7952.jpeg

IMG_7953.jpeg

It was at this stage that I decided to do some mass water changes, so last night I did a 25g water change (70g system volume). Between the time in the AM I noticed the acro bleaching and the time I did the water change it was almost all bleached. As I type this, the entire acro is gone except for one small part which still has some green and purple for some reason (maybe it'll grow back?).

In addition, my hammer coral which has been doing so well started to close up and spew slime from its mouth. This is not good.

I recently got an ICP test done, the water was from 2 weeks ago. It showed nothing major. Low iodine, elevated (4ug/l) iron, but that's it. Nothing to indicate a serious problem.

At this stage I should mention my system is a Reefer 250 with an aftermarket sump. Total system volume 70g I'd say.

I should also state:

Alk: 9.0
Calc: 425
Mag: 1315
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Salinity: 1.025

I run carbon for filtration as well as my fuge. Skimmer has been offline for a month or so, but again 0 nitrates.

I have automatic water changes done daily with a DOS pump. 1 gal / day.

I know the Nitrate and phosphate is an issue, but it's been like that for a very long time and I am trying to correct now by feeding more. I have a hard time judging how much to feed.

As far as recent changes to my tank:

- Cleaned my gyre's which of course resulted in increased flow (I seriously hate these things).
- Removed half my chaeto (it was huge and I think eating too much nitrate).
- Added that acro that died, a sand sifting starfish, a porcelain crab, and a small tang about 2 weeks ago (the sand in my tank is less than a year old so I dont think the starfish 'struck oil')

Something else I noticed last night, the water line that feeds my tank for automatic water changes was black. BLACK. From the bucket to the DOS pump and then a bit more from the DOS pump up to my tank. I've attached a pic. I don't know what this stuff is. Doesn't have an odor. My salt water is mixed using RODI 0 TDS in a 35gal brute bucket which is clean, no black in it. I am using Tropic Marin Pro but the bucket I just finished is from Germany. So is my new bucket, so I am not sure if I am experiencing the issues related to TMP's disaster.

IMG_7954.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Aside from the black stuff in the lines the only other thing I can think of is somehow the water got contaminated by something...

I am going to continue 33%+ water changes for the next 3 days and see what happens. It's all I can do. I've also turned the skimmer back on and I am going to swap the carbon, and also clean the bottom of the fuge out just to get the detritus removed. I don't like making these big (water) changes but I figure this is going to go bad fast if I don't.

Anyway I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or insights? I'm honestly at a loss which is why I am lugging buckets lol.

Thanks

-J

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to address them zeros pretty fast, I’d wager, not sure wcs gonna help there …. way off in left field suggestion but do you have another tank?
…btw my 1st suggestion for the black lines is carbon dust, 2nd suspect is algae/biofilm

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's the 0 PO4. Corals will store phospholipids and will also use organic phosphorus so when PO4 drops too low it may take a bit for the corals to show problems. Large frequent water changes aren't aren't going to help much unless you are adding PO4 in the new water. If you're using any thing to remove phosphorus I'd stop it. I'd also increase the amount you're feeding your fish. I'd suspect you've also disrupted the various microbiomes in your system and would be very hesitant to dose anything that might disrupt them more (like stuff to kill algae). Here's some videos you might find informative:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

OP
OP
D

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yes the 0's are a problem in N and PO4. I didn't think the outcome would be so severe though. I've always struggled to boost these. Biofiltration might be too good, or I just don't feed enough.

I could feed more starting today, should I turn off the skimmer?

I can also try and dose nitrate... just need to find a product nearby :/

-J

OP
OP
D

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed pellet food, it has a tendency to boost phosphate.
I do feed it, and I felt I was feeding too much, but perhaps I am not...

I need to do some searching on feeding quantities, I am clearly not feeding enough. I've always struggled in this area.

I bought a Hanna Nitrate checker last week, time to use it.

-J

OP
OP
D

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I've fed and gotten my nitrates to 3.4 ppm but phosphates are at 0.11ppm. I may need to add some GFO while feeding like I am but I am going to test again in a few days and see where I am at. If I do add it, it'll be a half dose just to prevent it from going too far up.

I've ordered some KNO4 and K2PO4 to raise nitrates and phosphates IF I need to. But I am hoping to achieve balance through feeding.

I have also ordered some Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ to feed my tank. I meant to some time ago but this gave me the kick in the wallet I needed.

I am ALSO replacing my T5's. Again, one of those things that were due but I didn't get to. The bulbs are over 18 months old. I am swapping one per week until all 4 are swapped.

The aforementioned corals still aren't happy but I am not expecting an overnight turn around. As long as stuff stops dying I'll be happy.

I am going to continue the water changes. JUST in case there's something in the water that's causing harm. I did a quick alk check, it's at 8.9, so stable. Going to keep an eye on it as I am making these changes.

I will check in again as things improve... or if they don't.

OP
OP
D

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at the TMP label of the new salt yet?
Or find out what the black stuff is?
It would be sad for all these WC with more bad salt.

Yeah it's German. I made sure before I bought it. The last bucket was too though.

I don't know what the black stuff is but hoping it's nothing too bad, perhaps some kind of algae but I don't know how I'll be able to figure out the cause. I am doing bucket-based WC and leaving the DOS pump offline until I replace the water lines then I'll see what happens.

Interestingly enough the black stuff happened on the water line going up to the tank... but not the line coming back down from it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back