Dr. Tim’s Fishless Cycle

  • Thread starter Thread starter jweiner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jweiner

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2025
Messages
85
Reaction score
45
Location
Milwaukee
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle one week ago with 4ppm ammonia and a small bottle of Dr. Tim’s bacteria (I have an IM 15 AIO cube). The bottle said it treats up to 30 gallons. Now, one week later, I still have 4ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. The pH has been stable at 8.2. The temp has been stable at 77F and I’ve kept the light off. Dr. Tim’s protocol suggests that I should be ready for fish soon. Is this normal that it’s taking this long to see any progress?
20260118_122751_F451A28E-BEA3-44F7-9D19-E4453EC0BDC5.png
 
This is very normal. A fish-less cycle with ammonia and Dr. Tim's One and Only typically takes about 3-4 weeks to complete, despite what it says on the bottle 🙃 Just give it some more time.
 
Fritz turbo start is far faster. Maybe go that route if you want to speed things.
 
Yup Fritz turbo start 900 is almost instantaneous.

With Dr Times it was around day 16 for me when ammonia finally hit 0. My experience did not line up with Dr Tims "schedule".
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new