OP
OP
DeadEnd

DeadEnd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Right, you want both ammonia and no2 to hit 0 within 24 hours. Normally I just ignore NO2 for two weeks until the end because that is pretty quick to go down as well. No2 usually takes care of itself in the right time period.

In terms of more biodiversity, it's less about the bacteria, and more about things like pods and algae, and then eventually some equilibrium between resources used vs. replenished (dosing/water changes/etc).

I'd look into getting something like AquaBiomics live reef rubble https://aquabiomics.com/product/live-reef-rubble which will seed your tank with some pods etc. They test every batch to make sure there's no pests/disease. You can also try seeding from someone else's established tank, but it's not as "For sure" in terms of being free of pests. Ultimately, pests will most likely make their way in, but in a nicely established tank, they shouldn't be too difficult to manage and live with easily.
I got some chateo from two different places and they "look" clean. I was thinking about throwing it in the sump but I am still deciding if it is a good idea.

Also, that's a nice product. But sadly it's OOS. Maybe there is an alternative.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some chateo from two different places and they "look" clean. I was thinking about throwing it in the sump but I am still deciding if it is a good idea.

Also, that's a nice product. But sadly it's OOS. Maybe there is an alternative.

Sure it looks clean, but you don't really know until you've looked at it under a microscope.

Do a bit more research on Aquabiomics, you'll be surprised at how "clean" they are. This company is more of a lab, and they do quite a bit of testing (even DNA testing of things in your tank). There's no better company to trust for this that I know of. Yes, they might not be fully 100%, but nothing else comes close.

And yes, it's almost always out of stock. They only release it once every month or two, if that. You have to get on their notification list and buy within minutes of announcement. It's a pain, but worth it.

I've missed two "in stock" notices because I wasn't at my computer ready to buy. I'm still waiting for some myself.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

Hoping you guys are having a good weekend I was wondering if I could ask for a little bit of assistance/advice about Dr Tim One and Only Fishless Cycle.

I am on the 5th day of the cycle and my API tests still shows the same amount of Ammonia, pH, NO2 and NO3 as in day 1.

2, 7.8, 0, 0

Should I be worried that something is off? I know patience is the key but I feel like something is wrong. Possible a bad batch? I used around 12 oz for 140 gallons. 2 different 8 oz bottles. bought them from my LFS and they were refrigerated.

I dont have any filters running, the water is from my RO system and used prime (just in case). Salinity 0.19 and temperature 84.

Thanks
I would suggest to you - that - the dosing for Dr. Tims (unless it's changed since I used it) - is extremely difficult using the 'drop method'. It seems to me - that using the recipe for drops on the bottle often results in an extremely high initial ammonia - which can also (if over 4-5 ppm) - inhibit the bacteria. I would Aldo double check your test kit - expiration date, etc. Also - with API - it's extremely important to follow the directions exactly - if it says hold the dropper vertically do that - shake for 30 seconds, etc etc do that. Make sure the vials are clean before testing, etc. Hope this helps. PS - Do you have a RODI system? Or only an RO system. Thinking about Chloramines if only RO

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back