Dr tims np active pearls

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by iiluisii, Jan 1, 2013.

1. iiluisii

iiluisii Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Ok im gonna be replacing my npx bio plastics with this dr tims pellets not because the npx are not working, just because the explanation of dr tims pearls and were they come from.
    Ill be doing a full review on them since my tank is only been up for two weeks.

So why dr tims over WM ecoback or npx, brs ect. Here is why.

They are 100% PHA (poly-hydroxyalkanoates) made in the USA (Iowa) by Telles which is a joint venture between a MIT spin-off called Metabolix and Archer Midland Daniels (ADM). They produce the PHAs using corn sugar and genetically modified bacteria. The bacteria produce the PHAs as a way to store energy for future use. By optimizing the process the PHAs can be harvested in large quantities.Working with Telles and our partner Aquaculture Systems Technologies (AST) we've brought to market a new PHA based polymer that has been extensively tested in aquaculture system in both traditional denitrification systems and heterotrophic assimilation of nitrate and phosphate which is a safer method for use in home aquaria.The benefits of our bio-polymer include:pure PHA with no fillers, binders or other chemicals addedMade in the USA by a reputable partnership in a sustainable mannerCertified ASTM marine biodegradableScientifically tested in aquatics applications by AST

No one else on the market will fully disclose were there pellets are made from.
    Ill be posting the results soon on this thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Tags:
  2. pgr11

pgr11 Well-Known Member

I switched over and love his pellets. Now I use less pellets and get better results

3. iiluisii

Yea thats an other thing he only recommends 900ml for a 300 g system which is less than every body else.

4. bknapp

bknapp Has been left unattended MTRCMember

Best of luck, let us know how they work out for ya.

5. Dowtish

Dowtish Well-Known Member R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember

I believe this is the only other pellet on the market that will compare to EcoBak. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Hopefully you will keep these running for a couple of years, so we can truly see how they do.

6. iiluisii

Just got them will start them tomorrow

Attached Files:

7. iiluisii

This is what got me to buy them.

Attached Files:

8. Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum Well-Known Member

Hi y'all,

I am considering bio pellets. I have 180 gallon tank that is doing really well, but lately my PO4 is creeping up even with running and replacing a good amount of GFO every month.

Has NP-active Pearls been working out for you guys?

I am thinking about using a Phosban reactor by modifying it slightly. I heard that you need to start slow with bio pellets. How much NP-active Pearls should I use when I start up the reactor?

9. iiluisii

For the np active pearls is 450ml per 150 gallon tank. And yes they are excellent just got to be patient with pellets cause it takes a bit until they start working

10. Tomoko Schum

Should I load all 450ml from the start? I thought that I needed to start with half the right amount and keep adding more gradually.

11. bknapp

I would start with about a quarter of suggested usage and add them slowly.

12. Tomoko Schum

Thank you, Brandon.

Does anyone here use Phosban reactor for bio pellets? I like my large Phosban reactor (550) for GFO. It works well and is very easy to maintain. I was hoping that I can use a smaller one of those (Phosban reactor 150) since my sump area is getting rather tight.

I have been keeping my alk on the low side (8 dkh) since I have been dosing vodka on and off for a few years. Vokda and Prodibio BioDigest have worked well in the past, but I forget about daily dosing when I get really busy.

13. meintn

meintn Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Start with 1/3 of the total volume you'll end with and add another third in two weeks time and the final third two weeks after that. Results should be fully realized 6-8 weeks after your initial add from what I've read and seen. Good luck!

14. Tennsquire

Tennsquire Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Yes, I run ecobak in a Phosban reactor (the smaller one). I did the modification that involves removing the bottom plate and using Teflon tape to secure the tubing. It's fed with a maxijet 1200 powerhead, and it's worked well for me. And yes, I would start with less than the recommended amount as has been mentioned. I started with like 1/3 of the recommended amount and didn't see any bleaching or anything like that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. Jeremy S.

Jeremy S. Well-Known Member

Would running pellets help a smaller tank? My tank is around 60 gallons in total volume.

16. Scutterborn

Scutterborn Well-Known Member

Tagging along. My reactor should be here tomorrow. I'm a first timer with BP. Had been considering what brand to go with. Now I'm beginning to think I chose poorly. I've got 1000ml of NPX. At least I'll have a lot better idea of the Dr. Tim's when it's time to add more.

17. Tomoko Schum

Do you direct the effluent from the reactor toward the intake of your skimmer?

How about other supplement besides Prodibio or Brightwell MB? Do you dose other supplements such as amino acids or potassium?

18. bknapp

Yes. Pellets (if ran correctly) will help a tank of any size.

19. bknapp

Its best to put the return from the pellet reactor in the same section of your sump as your skimmer.

I dose Warner Marine aminos and a little bit of Special Blend.

(As a side note: I don't use Dr. Tims pellets (although I've only heard good things about them) I use WM ecoBAK.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  20. Tomoko Schum

Do you base the amount of bio pellets on the total water volume? I don't know exactly how much water I have in my 180 and the sump. I suppose that I can figure out the right amount by trial and error... What are the criteria for judging if I added enough and not too much?

Should I stop using my GFO initially?

Sorry about a lot of questions, but I hate to overshoot the amount and let my corals suffer the consequence of my poor judgment. All those stories of failures that I heard before scare me a bit.