Dr tims np active pearls

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by iiluisii, Jan 1, 2013.

1. bknapp

bknapp Has been left unattended MTRCMember

Best thing to do is to take it very slowly, don't add the full amount at once. The stories of failure you've heard have been from people who (in general, for the most part) who simply didn't study up and follow the rules of pellet use.

The amount used is based on water volume and is generally an educated guess of total volume. I'm sure you have some general idea of what that is. I would keep the GFO for at least three to four weeks after starting pellets, the pellets take a good six to eight weeks (probably depending on which ones used) for the pellets to become colonized and useful. You can't really add too many pellets, the bacteria that colonizes the pellets can only survive if there are enough nitrates and phosphates for them to consume. The biggest problem from pellet usage is when people just add the total amount used at one time and strip the water too quickly, and the second is alkalinity burn on SPS.

2. pickupman66

pickupman66 Well-Known Member MTRCMember

Tomoko, fwiw with my large fishes I run about 1200-1500 ml for my 180. My volume is about 225 gallons. I have the discharge from the reactor in my skimmer chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

3. Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum Well-Known Member

Thank you, guys!

I estimate my water volume is less than 200 for sure. I have a good amount of live rocks and the size of my sump is like a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 18.) The sump may be holding 25 to 30 gallons. I suppose that my display may be holding 150 gallons. If the total volume is 180, I am going to need 540ml of np-active pearls.

I wonder if Phosban reactor 150 would hold 540ml or so of Pearls without an issue with the flow.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  4. pickupman66

pickupman66 Well-Known Member MTRCMember

The pellets really expand as you make them tumble. I recommend a larger reactor so you have space. If you don't they will allnpilenup at the top and won't tumble properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

5. Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum Well-Known Member

Tennsquire - How much ecobak do you put in the Phosban reactor 150? Np-active pearls instruction says that I need about 540 ml (2-1/4 cups) of pearls.

6. sricorals

sricorals Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Do you still use Dr Tim's NP Pearls or some other products to control Nitrate and Phosphate?

Thanks