Dr tims np active pearls

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you base the amount of bio pellets on the total water volume? I don't know exactly how much water I have in my 180 and the sump. I suppose that I can figure out the right amount by trial and error... What are the criteria for judging if I added enough and not too much?

Should I stop using my GFO initially?

Sorry about a lot of questions, but I hate to overshoot the amount and let my corals suffer the consequence of my poor judgment. All those stories of failures that I heard before scare me a bit.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you base the amount of bio pellets on the total water volume? I don't know exactly how much water I have in my 180 and the sump. I suppose that I can figure out the right amount by trial and error... What are the criteria for judging if I added enough and not too much?

Should I stop using my GFO initially?

Sorry about a lot of questions, but I hate to overshoot the amount and let my corals suffer the consequence of my poor judgment. All those stories of failures that I heard before scare me a bit.

Best thing to do is to take it very slowly, don't add the full amount at once. The stories of failure you've heard have been from people who (in general, for the most part) who simply didn't study up and follow the rules of pellet use.

The amount used is based on water volume and is generally an educated guess of total volume. I'm sure you have some general idea of what that is. I would keep the GFO for at least three to four weeks after starting pellets, the pellets take a good six to eight weeks (probably depending on which ones used) for the pellets to become colonized and useful. You can't really add too many pellets, the bacteria that colonizes the pellets can only survive if there are enough nitrates and phosphates for them to consume. The biggest problem from pellet usage is when people just add the total amount used at one time and strip the water too quickly, and the second is alkalinity burn on SPS.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomoko, fwiw with my large fishes I run about 1200-1500 ml for my 180. My volume is about 225 gallons. I have the discharge from the reactor in my skimmer chamber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, guys!

I estimate my water volume is less than 200 for sure. I have a good amount of live rocks and the size of my sump is like a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 18.) The sump may be holding 25 to 30 gallons. I suppose that my display may be holding 150 gallons. If the total volume is 180, I am going to need 540ml of np-active pearls.

I wonder if Phosban reactor 150 would hold 540ml or so of Pearls without an issue with the flow.

Last edited:

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pellets really expand as you make them tumble. I recommend a larger reactor so you have space. If you don't they will allnpilenup at the top and won't tumble properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

sricorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im gonna be replacing my npx bio plastics with this dr tims pellets not because the npx are not working, just because the explanation of dr tims pearls and were they come from.
Ill be doing a full review on them since my tank is only been up for two weeks.

So why dr tims over WM ecoback or npx, brs ect. Here is why.

They are 100% PHA (poly-hydroxyalkanoates) made in the USA (Iowa) by Telles which is a joint venture between a MIT spin-off called Metabolix and Archer Midland Daniels (ADM). They produce the PHAs using corn sugar and genetically modified bacteria. The bacteria produce the PHAs as a way to store energy for future use. By optimizing the process the PHAs can be harvested in large quantities.Working with Telles and our partner Aquaculture Systems Technologies (AST) we've brought to market a new PHA based polymer that has been extensively tested in aquaculture system in both traditional denitrification systems and heterotrophic assimilation of nitrate and phosphate which is a safer method for use in home aquaria.The benefits of our bio-polymer include:pure PHA with no fillers, binders or other chemicals addedMade in the USA by a reputable partnership in a sustainable mannerCertified ASTM marine biodegradableScientifically tested in aquatics applications by AST

No one else on the market will fully disclose were there pellets are made from.
Ill be posting the results soon on this thread

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Hi,
Do you still use Dr Tim's NP Pearls or some other products to control Nitrate and Phosphate?

Thanks

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back