Dragon soul “Favia”

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this typical of these guys. They are like this almost all day until lights out. Not sure if this is feeding or aggression
IMG_1667.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah looks like aggression, hence the sweeper tentacles. You should probably move the "favia" behind it farther away to prevent stinging.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah looks like aggression, hence the sweeper tentacles. You should probably move the "favia" behind it farther away to prevent stinging.
They have both been on that rock for about three years. If it is aggression, they are going to have to fight it out as there is no way either one could be removed without messing both of them up.

I don't see any damage even where they are able to touch.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have both been on that rock for about three years. If it is aggression, they are going to have to fight it out as there is no way either one could be removed without messing both of them up.

I don't see any damage even where they are able to touch.
Seeing that they're both prism "Favias," they might be able to touch if they are the same species; Prism "Favias" (dragon soul, prism, reverse prism) come in two species: Dipsastraea rosaria and Favites flexuosa. Generally, D. rosaria is sub-plocoid while F. flexuosa will be totally cerioid.

Unrelated but check out this dragon soul goniastrea at my LFS (yes I'm getting it)

Screenshot_20230821_172303_Gmail~2.jpg
That actually looks like Coelastrea, not Goniastrea. True Goniastreas have generally smaller corallites and are usually pale or cream-colored. They are actually pretty uncommon in the reefkeeping hobby due to their drab coloration.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that they're both prism "Favias," they might be able to touch if they are the same species; Prism "Favias" (dragon soul, prism, reverse prism) come in two species: Dipsastraea rosaria and Favites flexuosa. Generally, D. rosaria is sub-plocoid while F. flexuosa will be totally cerioid.

That actually looks like Coelastrea, not Goniastrea. True Goniastreas have generally smaller corallites and are usually pale or cream-colored. They are actually pretty uncommon in the reefkeeping hobby due to their drab coloration.
Huh, never heard of a coelastrea, I had my LFS order it through a wholesaler (unfortunately us hobbyists don't have access to those sellers) and it was labeled as ultra aussie goniastrea, was a wild caught peice so I don't know, but I looked up coelastrea and they don't seem to be anywhere near as vibrant as this piece

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, never heard of a coelastrea, I had my LFS order it through a wholesaler (unfortunately us hobbyists don't have access to those sellers) and it was labeled as ultra aussie goniastrea, was a wild caught peice so I don't know, but I looked up coelastrea and they don't seem to be anywhere near as vibrant as this piece
Coelastrea have a wide range of coloration, and most of the images on Google are of wild specimens on the reef, so the colors might look different under blue light. I usually wouldn't trust vendor IDs, wholesaler or otherwise, as they often misidentify their corals. Generally, what is sold as Goniastrea in the hobby are either Coelastrea or Paragoniastrea, unless we are talking about dragon-soul/prism "Goniastrea;" those are Dipsastraea rosaria or Favites flexuosa.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back