Dragonface Pipefish

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new pipefish seem to be getting comfortable in my tank. The first several days they stayed low on the sand, but now they're venturing up around the rocks and corals. They are so cute and fun to watch!

IMG_5317.thumb.jpg.2b9dea48a430edbaf9c3ffcaf492f841.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.26.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.25.22 AM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you purchase them? how did you guarantee a male/female?

My LFS (Cuttlefish & Corals in Portland, OR) ordered them for me. I have no idea if they are male or female, nor did the store.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are really neat looking!! Good luck with them!!!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat pods like a dragonette (Mandarin Goby)? They are neat but I am careful not to add another competitor to my tank. I like my MG too much.

I have read that they only eat live pods. My tank is full of pods, including red bugs attacking my acropora, which is why I got the pipefish. I don't have any other fish that eat pods, but I can understand the concern if you do.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat pods like a dragonette (Mandarin Goby)? They are neat but I am careful not to add another competitor to my tank. I like my MG too much.
I saw on Dutch Reefer on YouTube - his got snatched by a gorilla crab but he did a focus on these fish and loved them. He feeds Masstick every Friday for the video and I recall they were getting into that and eating other food. I'd probably add some pods if you already have fish who solely rely on pods but I wouldn't ay you need a huge population and, from memory Dutch Reefer had a Mandarin he introduced I think whilst he still had the Dragons. I also think pre-Mandarins he had the Dragons but not a fuge.

He openly says they are difficult fish though and I think he introduced them to his tank pretty early on and didn't have more aggressive fish then. I will introduce mine early on too once I have pods and before I get any wrasse ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back