Dragon's Breathe Macroalgae Question

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some red dragon's breath/tongue macroalgae. It looks good. It grows well. BUT it fragments constantly and ends up blowing all over the tank. Is this "fixable" or just to be expected? I love the color but I don't love the bits everywhere. Thanks.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I don’t know let’s see if anyone else on #reefsquad knows.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some red dragon's breath/tongue macroalgae. It looks good. It grows well. BUT it fragments constantly and ends up blowing all over the tank. Is this "fixable" or just to be expected? I love the color but I don't love the bits everywhere. Thanks.

Could you post a picture of your Halymenia? Is your Dragons Breath soft & slippery? I find the Pacific variety, Halymenia digitata, more durable compared to the Gulf of Mexico variety.

https://www.live-plants.com/redsealettuce.htm
“Species of Halymenia are gelatinous, smooth in texture and are very delicate. We collect two varieties, H. floresia & H. floridana. One features long flowing fronds while the other is more compact with rounded edges. They require good water quality and moderate to high flow to maintain their slippery, fleshy blades. This species is a bright red coloration with no iridescence at the tips as the Pacific halymenia species have. We ship a portion that is approx 6"- 8".”

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture of your Halymenia? Is your Dragons Breath soft & slippery? I find the Pacific variety, Halymenia digitata, more durable compared to the Gulf of Mexico variety.

https://www.live-plants.com/redsealettuce.htm
“Species of Halymenia are gelatinous, smooth in texture and are very delicate. We collect two varieties, H. floresia & H. floridana. One features long flowing fronds while the other is more compact with rounded edges. They require good water quality and moderate to high flow to maintain their slippery, fleshy blades. This species is a bright red coloration with no iridescence at the tips as the Pacific halymenia species have. We ship a portion that is approx 6"- 8".”
I'll snap a picture this afternoon. And think about ordering a different species.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK folks. Does this look like Dragon's breath macroalgae? Is it something else?

2019 jan 26 red algae 1.jpg

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 115 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back