Dragon's First Saltwater Reef - Fluval 9G Nano Reef

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting my new build coming from good success in freshwater with a very large happy Discus (and friends) tank. Wanted to start small with reefing to just learn the basics. I have a Fluval edge 9G AIO I was not using so I set that up and just in the start of the process!

IMG_2859.jpg

Adding bacteria daily and watching stats. I have a little CUC started of 2 turbo snails and 2 zebra hermits. I am feeding them algae wafers since it's a little early to have much Algae. Hope to get a Goby soon!

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also feel free to give ideas for nutrients, stocking, equipment etc. This is all new to me for salt! I may pose things out loud on here too.

Like...could I maybe get some corals with the 6500K light?
Should I upgrade the pump from the 90 GPH - they have a similar size 200 GPH on Amazon that will fit in the back.

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I picked up 2 discounted corals from the local pet store. I basically wedged the frags under my rocks I hope that is okay?? I know the first is Duncanopsammia axifug (the higher one). The second one had no label and was discounted but it had a ton of little green (under the blue light) little appendages that were all stuck out before I moved it. Anyone help me identify it? Also, what do I "feed" corals?
IMG_2862.jpg

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So! Today my Duncan coral is looking happy but his little mouth is out - do I feed him? Phytoplankton??

Also my GSP is still all closed up. Maybe stress of moving and having the algae brushed off?

I may consider adding a few more corals this weekend!

Salinity looks good, Ammonia has risen to 0.25 - maybe I should do a 10% water change today?
IMG_2870.JPG

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Duncan will accept larger meaty food like mysis - IME feeding corals is a personal preference. Some swear by it, others don’t feed at all. I’m somewhere in the middle.

Love the look of this tank. I think the light will work, but you could probably upgrade with a relatively cheap light if you want to provide a little bit more spectrum and PAR. That way you might be able to broaden your coral horizons.

As far as the GSP goes, they’re pretty bullet proof. Just keep your water in check.

The ammonia is a little high for my taste - not sure it will bother any corals but your inverts may not appreciate it.

You could look into a pump upgrade, probably wouldn’t be a bad idea :)

Out of curiosity what rock did you use to start?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Closeup of the one I can't identify?
IMG_2864.JPG
Kinda looks like an acropora

The challenge of starting w a smaller tank is that a lot can happen quite fast. An example, if you forgot to replenish RODI top off water you’ll see salinity going up and this may lead to other parameter swings. If you aren’t already using them, I would recommend getting Salifert test kits for parameters like alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!! I got the pulsing Xenia coral and added a little green clown goby!
IMG_2892.jpeg
IMG_2893.jpeg
IMG_2896.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pulsing Xenia looks a little sad this morning - it was very full last night but today it's somewhat closed up. I wonder if the hermit or snails bothered it?

Goby is perched in the back, hiding.

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 clown 1 royal gramma 1 green clown goby

3 trochus and 2 turbo snail
1 peppermint shrimp and 2 hermit crabs

Everyone seems happy

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s prob a little overstocked for a 9 gallon. The corals will probably just have slow growth with that light. I used to have fluval evo 13.5 which is for saltwater and even its stock light wasn’t optimal. What are you running for filtration?

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s prob a little overstocked for a 9 gallon. The corals will probably just have slow growth with that light. I used to have fluval evo 13.5 which is for saltwater and even its stock light wasn’t optimal. What are you running for filtration?
I’m okay with slow growth. I’m doing frequent water changes (20% every 2nd or 3rd day)

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok perfect! I think the only fish that may outgrow the tank would be the clown because they do get quite big over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back