Drain return ideas 40b

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im stuck between a few ideas for the 40b on weather or not i should use my ehsopps overflow and hang pvc over the top for the return or spend the 150 for the gl*******s kit. If there are any odeas or what you think would be greatly appreciated

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would drill it, an over-flow like the eshopps has issues with accumulating air and breaking the siphon, if you go that route add a lift pump like toms aquatics. Power outage can also cause an over-flow to lose its siphon and when the return pump kicks back on, flood water over the lip of the tank and onto your floor...

Check this site for options: Glass-Holes

"150 for the gl*******s kit." <-- Assuming this was the kit from the above link? (sorry), How much flow (return) are you looking to push through the over-flow?

Kit comes with everything you need.
Alex

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if you opposed to this idea but they have a 700gph and its roughly half the cost you noted above.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, your adding the return kit also... IMO, that will be your best bet in this instance.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a hob overflow and I'll never do it again. I actually tore my 75g down just to replace it with a reef ready version. I made my own glass holes style overflow, I found the specs online and cut it up. I made 4 of them for less than the cost of 1.

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pvc overflow that I made for my 150 with an aqua lifter pump to keep suction... works great... never had a problem... and was cheap to make.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a hob overflow and I'll never do it again. I actually tore my 75g down just to replace it with a reef ready version. I made my own glass holes style overflow, I found the specs online and cut it up. I made 4 of them for less than the cost of 1.

Just curious, what made you remove the HOB over-flow?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a near flood I was constantly worried about it, after the first time you find yourself picking up gallons of water off the floor you try to make sure it doesn't happen again. Not to mention the cleaner look of not having equipment hanging off the tank.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the reply, not a big fan of HOB either... in a pinch they might get the job done but personally feel a good drilled over-flow is best, IMO I'll never use/setup any other type but, beananimal style overflow.

After a near flood I was constantly worried about it, after the first time you find yourself picking up gallons of water off the floor you try to make sure it doesn't happen again. Not to mention the cleaner look of not having equipment hanging off the tank.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people in the club that have the hole saw to cut glass. If you can get one of them to let you borrow it drill it. If you have never drilled glass before I will drill it for you. It's pretty simple

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would order 3 1" bulkheads from champion lighting. They will get to you the fastest from them they are in I think Pennsylvania. I always use there bulkheads.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back