Drain Styles

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into making a breading tank, so a main tank broken into several individual compartments.

Each compartment will need an individual drains going into a common sump as there will be a solid physical barrier between each compartment.

I’ve seen the Durso standpipe before but it’s noisey.

What other options are there which are quiet and can be built small in scale ??

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking into making a breading tank, so a main tank broken into several individual compartments.

Each compartment will need an individual drains going into a common sump as there will be a solid physical barrier between each compartment.

There are many different approaches to doing this and here are a couple of ideas:

R2R Thread: Clownfish Breeding Tank

Reef Stew & More video

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking more at what different drain styles there are vs how to do a breeding tank

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dursos can be made to be nearly silent, as long as you are not pumping near max volumes of water through them.

Its been years since I used one, but I used to drill a hole in top of standpipe and put an airline adapter or valve there ( I forget which) and it would be quiet.

Herbie style overflows might be a possibility? It relies on siphon with the other drain for excess. Siphons can be a little finicky though.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dursos can be made to be nearly silent, as long as you are not pumping near max volumes of water through them.

Its been years since I used one, but I used to drill a hole in top of standpipe and put an airline adapter or valve there ( I forget which) and it would be quiet.

Herbie style overflows might be a possibility? It relies on siphon with the other drain for excess. Siphons can be a little finicky though.

Interestingly I posted a number of topics on my Durso drain when I got the system here and elsewhere and received multiple comments on how notoriously noisy they were.

I was told to use many other systems but can't recall what these were...

I'm just looking for what OPTIONS there are so I can keep this in mind when I design this new system.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly I posted a number of topics on my Durso drain when I got the system here and elsewhere and received multiple comments on how notoriously noisy they were.

I was told to use many other systems but can't recall what these were...

I'm just looking for what OPTIONS there are so I can keep this in mind when I design this new system.

I am intolerant of much noise on any aquarium, almost to the point of being irrational. I was able to get that durso to be acceptable. But its been 10+ years since I used one though.

Is it possible to have progressively smaller baffles in the same tank, with the last compartment having the main drain? Kind of like a step waterfall, with only 1" difference in height? Not sure if that would even work but just floating that idea out there.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt Durso's can be made quiet... I'm not sure if it's me not being clear or you're just intent on convincing me Dursos can be quiet...

Either way, what I'm after is what OPTIONS there are for drains...

Here's a few for starters...

- Durso
- Herbie
- Bean and Animal

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt Durso's can be made quiet... I'm not sure if it's me not being clear or you're just intent on convincing me Dursos can be quiet...

Either way, what I'm after is what OPTIONS there are for drains...

Here's a few for starters...

- Durso
- Herbie
- Bean and Animal

Those are about the only options I can think of for drains. In your experience and from what you had seen online, dursos are noisy. I am not trying to convince you of anything just saying I was able to make them quiet.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an open standpipe, durso, stockman, herbie, bean animal, multiple bean animal are the range of options. Complexity increases as you go left to right, but so does capacity and safety. I run a multiple siphon bean-style on my tank, but it’s a 450. All my other tanks/sumps run herbies.

Back