Dream 200 gallon stingray tank

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, i have a dream of one day owning a huge stingray tank, I wanted a eel tank but I have decided that I'll take it one step further! Here is what I would want in this (currently hypothetical) tank
One stingray A round stingray or blue ring stingray
a banded shark
a cool eel or two
I have a successful 45g AIO jbj and I decided two consider this thoughts? I am a broke kid without a job so how could I go about this without spending 5 grand on everything, I get that a tank( I was thinking a huge plastic tub) is 100s or 1000s of dollars, the main thing to me though is long term cost aka water, how should I go about this crazy dream and how much would it cost?

-Thanks, Max

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately a big plastic stock tank and a homemade filter out of a rubbermaid bin. @RC79ATC has some youtube videos you should check out

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately a big plastic stock tank and a homemade filter out of a rubbermaid bin. @RC79ATC has some youtube videos you should check out

I checked him out really neat! I have a question, I think I might do a 500 gallon tank instead, thats a plastic like bin, how would I make and buy the equitment for it and how would I do it not trying to spend 2000 dollars? also I live in not call where the lowest it gets is 30ish degrees and highest is 105ish degrees would I need a heater and a chiller?

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked him out really neat! I have a question, I think I might do a 500 gallon tank instead, thats a plastic like bin, how would I make and buy the equitment for it and how would I do it not trying to spend 2000 dollars? also I live in not call where the lowest it gets is 30ish degrees and highest is 105ish degrees would I need a heater and a chiller?

Building a filter/refugium isnt difficult at all and is fairly cost effective if you use the right set up.

First to your question of a chiller/heater...is this going to he indoors where the temp remains constant or outdoors/non-climate controlled room?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you can do this right. These are sensitive animals and even moving them a few times in normal kid fashion (forget about having no money) is not good. Also, would be looking more into 400-500 gallons if shallow and larger if tall.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you can do this right. These are sensitive animals and even moving them a few times in normal kid fashion (forget about having no money) is not good. Also, would be looking more into 400-500 gallons if shallow and larger if tall.
what do you mean "moving them a few times in normal kid fashion "

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a filter/refugium isnt difficult at all and is fairly cost effective if you use the right set up.

First to your question of a chiller/heater...is this going to he indoors where the temp remains constant or outdoors/non-climate controlled room?
I have 2 other threads that go into detail, this one is my oldest one, I watched a video on how to make one and someone did for a 300 gallon so I'm doing a 150 so Basically its half the materials, total cost is $160 dollars, also, its going inside so no need to worry about chiller/heater

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? moving a few times? look at my other threads

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 other threads that go into detail, this one is my oldest one, I watched a video on how to make one and someone did for a 300 gallon so I'm doing a 150 so Basically its half the materials, total cost is $160 dollars, also, its going inside so no need to worry about chiller/heater

I have several 300 gallon ponds and have kept rays and sharks a couple times.

I did all 3 of my system ponds, filters and plumbing for less than a thousand dollars combined.

I would suggest though, that most rays and sharks will appreciate the larger space of the 300 gallon rubbermaid. I have tried the smaller tubs and there just isnt enough room.

Good luck to you!

Drop a message if you need any help!

Cheers!

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did all 3 of my system ponds, filters and plumbing for less than a thousand dollars combined.

I would suggest though, that most rays and sharks will appreciate the larger space of the 300 gallon rubbermaid. I have tried the smaller tubs and there just isnt enough room.

Good luck to you!

Cheers!
here is my plan for filtration, I'm doing a DIY canister filter that would cost 160 US I'm coping this persons design here just with a smaller pump. the only filtration they have is the canister filter so I figured I'm good because this person does this and shark rescues. I'm getting a ray that only is 10" in diameter so I think I'll be alright he'll be in there with 2 tangs because I've always wanted one! The tangs shouldn't affect the bio-load or bother the ray.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck to you!

Cheers!
oh, could I see your pond(s) I kinda want inspiration, I thing I'm gonna do in one corner 2 big peices of live rock so the tangs have something to hide and sleep in

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my plan for filtration, I'm doing a DIY canister filter that would cost 160 US I'm coping this persons design here just with a smaller pump. the only filtration they have is the canister filter so I figured I'm good because this person does this and shark rescues. I'm getting a ray that only is 10" in diameter so I think I'll be alright he'll be in there with 2 tangs because I've always wanted one! The tangs shouldn't affect the bio-load or bother the ray.

Im fairly sure these folks have a sizeable protein skimmer on their whole system. I would not run a ray/shark tank without either a large skimmer or sizeable algae scrubber/planted refugium... even a small ray will cause a big mess.

Also be careful with tangs and the eyes of rays. We have had instances where Atlantic rays nip at the eyes.

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you reccomend any budget protein scrubbers, my tank is smaller so it can be like one for a 150

I would see what you can find on social media market places. I have found excellent deals on craigslist and facebook market on "scratch and dent" equipment...

You could also try the DIY build skimmers from youtube. They arent super difficult but also not attractive lol.

I have used the SCA skimmers from off amazon. They arent bad for the price.

Cheers!

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you reccomend any budget protein scrubbers, my tank is smaller so it can be like one for a 150

My suggestion would be a combination. Plumb your pond to a smaller tub. Build a small tote mechanical filter, add in a skimmer and then get refugium grow light and grow chaeto. A 40 gallon tuff tub should be plenty.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see what you can find on social media market places. I have found excellent deals on craigslist and facebook market on "scratch and dent" equipment...

You could also try the DIY build skimmers from youtube. They arent super difficult but also not attractive lol.

I have used the SCA skimmers from off amazon. They arent bad for the price.

Cheers!
hmm, I'll look for some used deals, could I do a in sump skimmer without sump? sounds silly

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, I'll look for some used deals, could I do a in sump skimmer without sump? sounds silly

If you plumb your pond to a smaller tub sitting along side...absolutely....i have also put a sump skimmer in the pond on a pedestal with some rock work around the base for stabilization.

OP
OP
M

Max The New reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plumb your pond to a smaller tub sitting along side...absolutely....i have also put a sump skimmer in the pond on a pedestal with some rock work around the base for stabilization.
I think I'll might do the second one, I plan on putting the tank in my room, I have a very low tank that can go under my bed, btw I know smell tempiture humidity etc...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back