Dream Tank Build

sciknen

Merrimack Valley Hardcore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I decided to just do it and start with this thread. Don't expect to see water in a tank for a few months.

I have some money saved up for glass, need a little bit more. I've got a quote from Glass Cages with shipping for just the glass. Plan on getting a few more local quotes, but I thought they were a good starting price. As soon as I sell a few more corals I'm buying glass.

The tank:
36" long x 36" wide x 18" tall
1/2" sides with 1/2" bottom. Not sure on the overflow. It will have 3 starfire panes with the overflow on the normal glass.

I really want to do rimless with a floating canopy about 4" tall to house a LED setup. Not sure if 1/2" is good enough. I think it will be though. No idea on equipment yet, but plan on getting a kalk reactor. Going to run 1 40 gallon breeder underneath. Definitely going to have some kind of Octopus protein skimmer. Love them. Lighting will be DIY.

Stock.
I have about 5-6 fish now, if I can find the gobies, in my 55g that I will be transferring.

Might add a couple PJ cardinalls, I already have two Bangaii so not sure how they will get along

Corals
This will have very limited SPS probably just really bright hairy stuff.. I want to see movement. Lots of softies, Lots of flowing stuff. Lots of rics. Lots of zoas and palys.

Please give criticism. Specifically the glass thickness. But just don't say go bigger without a reason why? I can't find a good glass thickness calculator either.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good start! Love the dimensions and yes, 1/2" should be ample for that size. If you went 3/4", it simply add weight and cost. I like your idea of getting the glass from GC and doing it yourself. I know you will likely do a better job as you'll take your time on it. I am very pleased with the Starphire panels on my GC frag tank.

I look forward to seeing the progression.

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at equipment now.. Thinking just a simple Kalk reactor. With the corals I'll be keeping I don't think I'll need some huge calc reactor.

Gonna be ordering at least a 48 LED kit from reefledlights. I need to draw up some schematic to figure out exactly how many and how big and all that jazz.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice sounds like a another great tank in the makeing +1 on the dimensions I too have a glass cages tank 120g I got from a friend and I like the craftsmanship they are a reputable company to deal with goodluck on your build look forward to updates

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not having them make it. Figure I can do it with a little help.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I'm going to be waiting ont he LED build. I want to build a really nice DIY fixture which will cost more money.

I'm not worried about it because I just got a free 400w MH ballast. Probably just going to use a cheap spider reflector while I save money for the LEDs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back