Dremel in the reef

AQUAMAN22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick question.
I am battling mushrooms that are growing out of control. I have a dremel with the flex shaft and was wondering if there would be any issues using it in my reef? There is technically no electricity to the flex shaft. I’m more concerned about any oils or materials in the cut off wheels contaminating my tank. I see that they have diamond blade attachments or should I just use the sandpaper type grinding wheel. Let me know your thoughts

6D229353-3BE3-4740-9EAC-DA1B508892FA.png

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the grinding wheel for the really heavy LPS I cannot use a bone cutter on and otherwise want a clean cut. That said, I don't use the extension in the water because of the oils and contamination. Just wouldn't do that because it'd be impossible to take back if things went poorly.

OP
OP
AQUAMAN22

AQUAMAN22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree I don’t want to contaminate my tank I barely like putting my hands in there lol. I’ve been scraping them off with a flat screwdriver and sucking them out seems to be working just taking forever

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Deamel won't hurt your tank at all but a Dremel is a Homeowner quality tool and not made very well so that shaft is flex steel and not stainless. It may not be the best thing for the tool. If you use it
(and I would) you will have to run it in fresh water for a while after to get the salt out . I have the same tool and have used it in my tank. The fish enjoy it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Or of course use one of the other suggestions. :)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try stainless steel straws on a siphon tube. You can scrape them off sometimes.

If the mushrooms are successfully budding and winding up in other parts of the aquarium it may be a loosing battle other than removing and replacing rocks.

Vinegar seems to remove small ones for me...but then you have to catch them before they roll away. I've killed them with f-aiptasia and sucked out the goo days later. I tried putting small hammer frags nearby, they eventually crawl under them and kill off the heads.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not sell the rocks with the mushrooms then replace them with new live rock?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Deamel won't hurt your tank at all but a Dremel is a Homeowner quality tool and not made very well so that shaft is flex steel and not stainless. It may not be the best thing for the tool. If you use it
(and I would) you will have to run it in fresh water for a while after to get the salt out . I have the same tool and have used it in my tank. The fish enjoy it. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Or of course use one of the other suggestions. :)
We think a like.

Grease can be cleaned off and use another salt friendly version. Dow vacuum grease would work. I would use the diamond cutter. The other I think has rubber in it and/or some type of bonding agent. Definitely clean off all parts after.

Or use another option mentioned.

Screenshot_20220208-055540_Chrome.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grease won't hurt anything and won't come off the Dremel. Besides if it did, it floats. A dremel probably has a quarter of a drop of grease in it and grease isn't toxic. Maybe it cures ich. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grease won't hurt anything and won't come off the Dremel. Besides if it did, it floats. A dremel probably has a quarter of a drop of grease in it and grease isn't toxic. Maybe it cures ich. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
if they are really scared of grease, they could use fish oil

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes. Grease is oil suspended in a thick solution.
I would be leery of what type of oil that was used in there grease.

Screenshot_20221129_145743_Chrome.jpg

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think you dremel shaft would be much good after being exposed to salt water. But if you do I would rinse it in RO/DI water not tap with all the minerals in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back