Drew's Nuvo Fusion 20 Build

Drewsypoosy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Nuvo Fusion 20 build. I am documenting it to help me see the progress of this tank over time and help me appreciate where it is from where it started. I am hoping to update it quarterly or at points where there are big changes.

The tank I bought back in March 2022 where I started acquiring the equipment to get this tank started. In April 2022 we decided to move 1300 miles away and so this tank was put into storage for nearly a year. We finally got situated and stable and i started to gather everything to finish the setup part of the process.

I ordered Marco Reef Saver Rock and 2 foundations and started building a minimalist aquascape. I built the scape using superglue and Marco Rock Powder. I would put the rock together where i wanted it to sit. Then i put the glue on the rock and covered the rock with powder. It worked extremely well. It was like an instant set mortar the only bad part was the fumes.

full

It sat like this for a few weeks in my office cause i had no good sources for RODI water and no stand sturdy enough to put the tank on. So it was back to waiting.

A few months later I got a solid wood dresser for our bedroom and repainted it and we finally had a place to put this tank. I ran to the local pet store that is 30 minutes away from me and grabbed 20 gallons of saltwater and started setting up this tank to get it cycling.

I added the Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand that had been sitting in storage for over a year thinking it was going to be super stinky but it didnt have any bad smell at all so i added it to the tank filled the tank with water and started the cycle. It ran with no light for about 3 weeks.

full

After 3 weeks of just letting it run we had no smells no algae and no issues. it was time to add something to help me in the long run. I ordered Eco-pods and phytoplankton. Once they arrived i added them and dosed Phytoplankton once a day for a week.

I mounted the light, turned it on, and added my first coral to test if its ready to start growing coral. I started with just a single head of Green Duncan Coral. It perked up over night and is looking like its going to do well so far.

full

The equipment at this point is
Light - Kessil a160we
Heater - BRS 100w Titanium Heater with Inkbird Controller
Pump - MightyJet 538gph
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155 in nano mode

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start.

OP
OP
D

Drewsypoosy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the ugly phase kind of show up. A little bit of diatoms in the sand bed but nothing really terrible at this point. Pods are still all over the glass and I'm still dosing phytoplankton daily.

I had some overtime money come in and bought some stuff that I thought would be beneficial. I got rid of the filter sock the tank comes with cause I know I'm not going to clean them. I bought another media caddy to replace it. I also bought a media holder from inTank for the middle chamber on 1 side and a refugium light. I also bought the first fish for the tank to make the wife and child happy. I went with the classic clownfish.

I didn't want to spend $25 for something people throw away so I asked the local saltwater Facebook group if anyone had some cheato I could buy and a guy told me he had some I could have for free.

When I got there I was not expecting the guy to invite me in his house and show me his small business he is running out of his laundry room. He then used this cheato to sell me a bunch of coral.

I felt a little taken advantage of. Just going to grab some cheato and then he flaunts all these great looking coral in front of me and walking out with a bag of goodies.

The tank is looking much better with its new additions.
20231013_171844.jpg
20231013_171837.jpg
20231013_171735.jpg
My duncan was unhappy for a few days so i moved it to the shadows and it's still not super happy. I could be wrong but I think it looks like it's got a new head forming though.
20231013_164158.jpg

I think my next hurdle is going to be removing the coral from the plugs and securing them to the rock.

I am having some regrets with my sand choice. The Fiji pink is getting blown around a little bit along the front glass. Not terrible but not ideal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back