OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a good video for everyone just in case there are any questions

See that’s just it my glasses I used didn’t completely dark out but it did get dark. And on the temperd bottom it had a bunch of lines and stuff. So that’s why I’m not sure

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C60D7827-4B6F-4041-8ED7-7AA8530955C5.jpeg

It drilled!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0B76F8FB-AB7D-45B8-B3A3-51674A1CB64C.jpeg

in the process of filling the aquarium. I’m moving from a 55 to a 75. Should I cycle it? Or will I be safe to move over without a full cycle?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drilled mine yesterday! Went a lot smoother than I thought. Glad yours went well too!!!

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve ran into several problems.
1. leaks!!! I have leaks right at the connecting bulkheads that then adapted into pvc no matter how much glue I add they still leak. No that I’m looking at it I wonder if i don’t have them screwed in tight enough.
2. Noisy. the noise from the siphon breaking is terrible so for the mean time I stuck a tube down the pipe to eliminate the noise for tonight be it’s not a long term solution before to much air is being pulled into the pipes.
3. Water flow speed. The speed keeps fluctuating between really fast and really slow and I’m not sure why at one point my return pumps can’t keep up the next time there pumping to fast.
4. Can’t add anymore water. Every time I add more water to top off the display tank the sump overflows? How do I prevent this from happening?
And lastly I know it’s off topic but I have a USA orbit marine Bluetooth light that has for some reason stayed on pure white and won’t let me set time or change the color I’m not sure if any of you know how to deal with this.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well me and my friend just tried to drill a Aqueon 75 gallon last night. My glasses don't seem to work for the test. I figured I had no issues with my last 2 Aqueon 75 gallons we should be good. Nope... Started to drill and it shattered but stayed in one piece. We measured the glass thickness on the other 2 that drilled fine and the thickness of the glass was 0.24" where the one we got last month during the Petco 50% off sale is only 0.18". So I guess they use tempered glass on their thinner glass versions. I thought I had read they used 3/8" or 0.37" on Aqueon website. So I don't know what to believe other than next time when we go to PetCo to get one I will be bringing my calipers with me to measure the glass first.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did the Polarized test, I had to look at glass at about a 45 Degree angle to tell.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh man I’m sorry!!!!!! Honestly I would buy predrilled from now on because one the stress of drilling it was killer for me and two I’m dealing with all sorts of leaks by the glass sooo. That’s my opinion

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm this tempered/vs non tempered issue is still around. I bought two 75g aqueons this week and 1 was tempered 1 was not, both black silicone.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took polarized glasses to the store when i bought mine

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took polarized glasses to the store when i bought mine

I did the same thing, brought my laptop and my glasses haha. I got lucky on the first one, which ended up having two bad seams when I tested the tank, unfortunately the replacement that showed up today was tempered and I didn't have the heart to ask the LFS owner to order another so this one could sit on the shelf all while the next one very well could be tempered as well. Been researching HOB overflows tonight instead!

JayD976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this is my first time drilling an aquarium so I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing. I pretty sure it’s not tempered glass but it’s a 50/50 chance so if it is oh well no loss. What is the key to drilling into glass? Is it as hard as it sounds? And how do I connect the plumbing to the whole I drilled?

There's nothing to it if:

1. You take your time.
2. You set up properly before you start.
3. The glass isn't tempered.

I love Aqueon tanks; they're all I own. I was trying to find a link before I replied to this post; Aqueon has a chart on their website telling which panes are tempered from tank to tank.

Please post pictures!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the sunglasses trick on my Aqueon 75 tank and the sides blacked out. Unfortunately, so did the bottom which is supposed to be tempered… so idk what to think.
I found some "polarized" sunglasses didn't work. But, with some it was very obvious. Check a car window and those are 100% obvious.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back