Drilling a Filled Tank

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my tank has been running for a month and a half with a canister filter. However, I have decided to install a sump and do not want to use a HOB overflow because I do not want to deal with problems with it in the future. So, I am planning on drilling my tank.

For the drilling, I am going to empty the tank, but I am not sure what to do with the sand. Should i leave it in the tank while J am drilling? My tank hasn't been up for too long and I haven't turned the lights on yet so i am not dealing with algae in the sand or anything like that, I just don't want to make it unsafe for the fish by disturbing the sand bed.

Anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a good idea. How big of a tank?

HOB overflows from lifereef have a great track record. I am using one for over a year now without a single bubble in the Utube or other issues.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding you will want to to remove the sand and turn the tank so the drill side is facing up, and drill while running water over the area the entire time (garden hose usually). Also want to verify your glass is not tempered as it will shatter if you drill it.

Scoop it all out into a bucket or something.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a good idea. How big of a tank?

HOB overflows from lifereef have a great track record. I am using one for over a year now without a single bubble in the Utube or other issues.
75 gallon. Was going to take it off and put it on the side not drill it on the stand

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling with the sand in just sounds problematic to me.

I think you will have the best experience drilling if you can drill down vs. sideways. better lubrication and easier to keep it square and steady.
Do you think it'll be fine if i scoop the sand out? Tank is relatively new so i don't think disturbing the sand bed is hugely problematic but i just want to make sure

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've drilled glass or tile before it can be done. I would use a towel underneath where you are drilling. Start with drill at 45 degrees till it bites. Then go for it. Dab with wet rag during drilling. Use a regular drill and check for tempered first. It can be done but it's better if you have some confidence with the operation. A practice hole or two in a Tile or glass is recommended in better circumstances.

I have seen and done it with water still in the tank.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it'll be fine if i scoop the sand out? Tank is relatively new so i don't think disturbing the sand bed is hugely problematic but i just want to make sure

totally, brandon429 has some great posts in his history about sand removal and moving tanks and the like if you want some better information than I have.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to put it on the side then your concern of disturbing the sandbed is irrelevant as the sand would just fall onto the opposite side. In your scenario it won't make any difference to remove it

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 75 - I'd find one used on Craigslist/Facebook/whatever and drill that one - and then just do a swap. It'll make the transfer-day way easier. Then sell the current tank.

You really don't want to end up in a situation where you've got everything in bins and you crack the tank.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 75 - I'd find one used on Craigslist/Facebook/whatever and drill that one - and then just do a swap. It'll make the transfer-day way easier. Then sell the current tank.

You really don't want to end up in a situation where you've got everything in bins and you crack the tank.
If I have everything in bins and crack the tank I know my lfs has a 75 gallon so I am not too worried about that. All I am worried about is disturbing the sand bed and causing problems when I put the fish back in.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I am seeing is that I should rinse the sand before putting it back in the tank. Wouldn't that cause problems and cause my tank to re-cycle?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria you want in the sand will stay stuck to the sand particles beneath a film of “insulation”. As long as it doesn’t dry out you wont kill the beneficial bacteria by moving it around.

There’s plenty of sand rip and rinse threads here on R2R. If anything you are cleaning the gunk out of the sand allowing the bacteria to work better when it is added back to the tank.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I am seeing is that I should rinse the sand before putting it back in the tank. Wouldn't that cause problems and cause my tank to re-cycle?

I dont think you have much choice on at least a small re-cycle period.

You will be adding significant new equipment, and you will have to keep the rock/sand wet and warm to avoid most, but all things combined the pragmatic approach is (imo) to just consider this a recycle and watch your levels to see what happens.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria you want in the sand will stay stuck to the sand particles beneath a film of “insulation”. As long as it doesn’t dry out you wont kill the beneficial bacteria by moving it around.
So then I should be fine just scooping it out into a bucket and putting a lid on the bucket to make sure it stays wet

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you have much choice on at least a small re-cycle period.

You will be adding significant new equipment, and you will have to keep the rock/sand wet and warm to avoid most, but all things combined the pragmatic approach is (imo) to just consider this a recycle and watch your levels to see what happens.
Yeah, was planning on watching my levels anyways. Going to put the live rock in a brute bin so not worried about sand or rock drying out.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then I should be fine just scooping it out into a bucket and putting a lid on the bucket to make sure it stays wet
Yes,

This thread will give you better answers about the sand portion of your questions faster than me typing them if you’re interested -

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,

This thread will give you better answers about the sand portion of your questions faster than me typing them if you’re interested -

Yeah, I did read that thread. So what i'm gathering is that I should scoop the sand into a bucket and then before I put the sand back in the tank I should rinse the sand out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back