Drilling advice?

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Looking for suggestion/opinions/advice on drilling glass.

I bought a 150g drilled for the synergy shadow overflow from SCA back in nov for their black friday sales and I have been tossing the idea around for drilling a hole towards the lower back corner and making it an easy access drain for water changes. Just turn the valve and drain kind of deal. I have never done any drilling or anything so im a little leery I guess of messing up ny new 900$ tank. Any thoughts? Has anyone any experience adding something like this and has suggestions? Or is this just a terrible dangerous idea that I need to dispel?

The tank will have its back to a wall that goes to the unfinished side of the basement in the house im about to buy where the sump and RO stuff will be, so would be super easy to drain out and pump back in. May be more risky that its worth to just cut a hole in the wall for a hose and drop a pump in to drain out though I guess

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is if your bulkhead started leaking, you know, while on a two week vacation. Right after your wife got the house exactly perfect. Good idea to run a drain hose to the basement. Makes cleaning and water changes easy.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Looking for suggestion/opinions/advice on drilling glass.

I bought a 150g drilled for the synergy shadow overflow from SCA back in nov for their black friday sales and I have been tossing the idea around for drilling a hole towards the lower back corner and making it an easy access drain for water changes. Just turn the valve and drain kind of deal. I have never done any drilling or anything so im a little leery I guess of messing up ny new 900$ tank. Any thoughts? Has anyone any experience adding something like this and has suggestions? Or is this just a terrible dangerous idea that I need to dispel?

The tank will have its back to a wall that goes to the unfinished side of the basement in the house im about to buy where the sump and RO stuff will be, so would be super easy to drain out and pump back in. May be more risky that its worth to just cut a hole in the wall for a hose and drop a pump in to drain out though I guess

So a hole that can drain the tank? Feels like a bad idea, though its possible. I'd rather have a setup like that in the sump and replace a sump section at a time.

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t do anything til you get into the new house.

OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually would be just through the wall, the tank will be in the basement, so literally just right through

I thought about that leaking issue too. Wouldnt be much room for error because it would be prwtty inpossible short of draining most of the tank to try to even get to

OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a hole that can drain the tank? Feels like a bad idea, though its possible. I'd rather have a setup like that in the sump and replace a sump section at a time.

Yeah some parts of it sound wonderful, but then the parts that could go wrong sound really disastrous

OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats actually a pretty amazing idea. I have a trigger 39 that will be used with it. I could i could just drill the bottom of each section and used that instead of taking a chance with the tank idea. Is thay what you mean?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats actually a pretty amazing idea. I have a trigger 39 that will be used with it. I could i could just drill the bottom of each section and used that instead of taking a chance with the tank idea. Is thay what you mean?

Yup. I find needing to clean the detritus buildup in my sump setup sucks, since it usually means using a shop vac. Would love a way to drain it out.

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just stick to the old method and suck on the hose and do WC like that lol.

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO having a drain to waste for water changes is really helpful...especially in larger tanks. If you don't make water changes easy to do in a tank that size they probably won't get done regularly. I agree with putting the drain in the sump...even better if you can do it in an area where detritus collects (kill two birds).

Before high efficiency gyre and propeller pumps were the norm and many reefers were still drilling lots of holes in their tanks for closed loop plumbing that was the common advice...not too low or on the bottom...so you don't have to drain the whole tank if you have to repair/replace a valve or bulkhead.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of risk i'd say it's not higher than a CL outlet although the constant use of a ball valve would in theory add some strain on the bulkhead joint.

Personally i'd go with a drain in the sump using a stand pipe. For my water changes i simply open a ball valve on the stand pipe and then switch on the pump to feed the new SW in, see below:

Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 23.17.00.png

Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 23.17.08.png

It's a very safe and simple system that i'd say it's semi automatic.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is the location. Should you somehow develop a leak in the bulkhead you are going to drain all the water in your DT down to the level of the bulkhead. I would personally put the bulkhead at the height of whatever water change you normally do. This way, should a leak develope, you are only draining that percentage onto your floor. I shudder thinking about it.
I can honestly say, the best investment in water changes for me was the DOS. Some food for thought.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Would not drill the display tank down low .There are more reasons not to then the benefit of a gravity fed drain.

Pros .
Can do a gravity drain for the tank.
Cons..
Bulkheads leak.
It takes two seconds to start a siphon if you need to drain the tank down that low. VS a chance of a leaky bulkhead.
Tank cracking along the bulkhead while drilling (thou rare) or from pressure against or bumping the Drain pipe itself.

You will always have a pump and Power available to pump water out of the tank if you need it that low , I see no upside to having that drain other then saving 2 minutes to start a siphon ..

Just my Opinion..

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to what everyone else said. I would not drill the tank. To many risks with the hole drilling itself and also the leak issue. What a mess if that were to leak. I would do the drain from the sump also. JMO

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly this, and can't be any happier. Makes water changes a breeze. Just make sure that the glass is not tempered. I also drilled a 150 gallon but mine was a 150 gallon tall. It is very easy to do. Just make sure you apply tape to bottom part of tank that you plan to drill. That way, the glass won't fall off before the drill is cleanly through, and the drill holes are nice and clean.

I also would not use a ball valve. Use a gate value to lessen the strain.

Like someone said earlier, there are many tanks drilled for close loops. I have never had bulkhead leak once installed properly. Always use schedule 80 bulkheads. And if you are really concerned about a potential leak, add a little silicon on the inside of the tank around the bulkhead after you install and tighten the seal. Not needed but as an insurance policy if you are concerned.

For those that say bulkheads always leak, do you have this issue with your overflow? Are the bulkheads for your overflow always over your sump? Mine isn't and if it leaks, I would have a mess on my floor.

OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses guys! Definitely going to bypass the drill the DT idea, waaay too many cons vs the pros. Think i will be looking into those sump drain ideas!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back