Drilling Aqueon 180 or 210gallon?

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So recently I lightened my bio load substantially via a failed wavemaker and electricity (see my other threads). I’m using this opportunity to revamp my system, fixing some nagging issues and I think want to also upgrade my tank. Currently my tank is a reef ready aqueon 125 that I bought used, for all I know it could be 20 years old. I want to upgrade to a 6ft 180 or 210, but I hate the internal overflows. I asked my LFS about ordering and drilling (drilling myself that is) and the owner says that lately aqueon is using tempered glass even on the back(he says due to material shortages), and is trying to convince me to by a redsea through him. Buying a Red Sea is not my style, basically my whole system is DIY, and frankly I can’t justify the cost of the Red Sea, when I know I can build a stand and make the system exactly the way I want for much less money. So my question is, can we no longer drill the back of an aqueon? To my knowledge it’s just the bottoms that are tempered and I think my guys just trying to up-sell me? Has anyone drilled a larger aqueon lately? I’d love to install those sleek shadow overflows on the back. The other thought is that if I can’t drill an aqueon, I’d rather get a custom tank build for just the tank, should be cheaper than a Red Sea system I’m pretty sure. Thanks!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve always heard, aqueon or tanks like them such as top fin or etc, will often tell people that they do not recommend drilling and that they can not guarantee which panes are tempered or not.
My LFS got me a great deal on a new planet aquariums 180. You can order them drilled for an external overflow or even not drilled at all. You might look into them.
Glass Cages is the company I would have chosen if not for the lfs deal I got.
I know you’re asking about the DIY route but I feel like it’s a gamble ( in your favor) and you’re just going to have to do the tempered test with polarized glasses or something.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqueon 180’s are garbage. I had two new ones crack on my when filled up. Stand was perfectly level and my marineland tank never had any issues. I recently upgraded my marineland 180 to a planet aquariums 180 with external overflow and its super nice.

on my 70 i drilled for a modular marine 1600 and have been super happy.

OP
OP
Beefyreefy

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
He seems to indicate that cost is an issue.
Not so much cost rather than I want it to be set up to my exact specifications. Plus not a huge Red Sea fan for what they charge and the horror stories I’ve heard.

OP
OP
Beefyreefy

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I’ve always heard, aqueon or tanks like them such as top fin or etc, will often tell people that they do not recommend drilling and that they can not guarantee which panes are tempered or not.
My LFS got me a great deal on a new planet aquariums 180. You can order them drilled for an external overflow or even not drilled at all. You might look into them.
Glass Cages is the company I would have chosen if not for the lfs deal I got.
I know you’re asking about the DIY route but I feel like it’s a gamble ( in your favor) and you’re just going to have to do the tempered test with polarized glasses or something.
Will actually check into planet aquarium. Thanks!

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching scares me to be honest, never much considered acrylic for that reason alone.
It is a risk but, at least with acrylic, you can polish out the scratches. Scratches on glass are forever. That said, I've been tempted by a few glass tanks from time to time.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled an aqueon 75. I took polarized glasses to a store and checked a few tanks. Most seemed to not be tempered. From what i researched they were using more tempered glass mid covid due to supply issues.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching scares me to be honest, never much considered acrylic for that reason alone.
You have to be carful, but I've had acrylic tanks for 20 years that still looked pretty good. A Magfloat cleaner is a great investment if you go that way and be carful when it touches the sand.

I've never had an acrylic tank break or leak. Same is not true for glass tanks. I had a 180 gallon pop once... not much fun.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back